Thermos Heat Loss: Solving Differential Equations for Changing Temperatures

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the heat equation in determining the temperature within a thermos consisting of two layers. The differential equations for each temperature and layer are set up and then decoupled to obtain a second-order differential equation in T1. However, the resulting expression is found to be inaccurate and neglects important factors, such as spatial aspect and material properties. The conversation concludes by suggesting further research on the heat equation.
espen180

Homework Statement

A thermos consists of two layers (see fig). The core contains a liquid with temperature [tex]T_1[/tex]. The outer layer contains air at low pressure with temperature [tex]T_2[/tex]. The surrounding air has temperature [tex]T_3[/tex]. At [tex]t=0[/tex], [tex]T_2=T_3[/tex]. Assume that [tex]T_3[/tex] does not change with time, and that temperature is conserved between the core and outer layer. What is the magnitude of [tex]T_2[/tex] after [tex]t[/tex] seconds?

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3128/termos.png

Homework Equations

Heat equation: [tex]\frac{dT}{dt}=k\Delta T[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I write down the differential equations for each temperature and layer:

[tex]\frac{dT_1}{dt}=k_1(T_2-T_1)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dT_2}{dt}_1=k_1(T_1-T_2)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dT_2}{dt}_2=k_2(T_3-T_2)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dT_2}{dt}=k_1(T_1-T_2)+k_2(T_3-T_2)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dT_3}{dt}=0[/tex]

Since I have two functions to deal with, [tex]T_1[/tex] and [tex]T_2[/tex], I set up a set of differential equations with two functions:

[tex]\frac{dT_2}{dt}=-T_2(k_1+k_2)+k_1T_1+k_2T_3[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dT_1}{dt}=k_1(T_2-T_1)[/tex]

How do I solve this set of differential equations. I don't think I can solve them one by one, since neither [tex]T_1[/tex] or [tex]T_2[/tex] is constant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a system of coupled differential equations that you need to decouple. To do this,

1. Solve the second equation for T2 to get T2= (blah, blah, blah).
2. Replace T2 with (blah, blah, blah) on the right side of the first equation.
3. Replace the left side of the first equation with the time derivative of (blah, blah, blah).

This leaves you with a second order differential equation in T1.

Okay, thanks for the help!

I solve the second equation for [tex]T_2[/tex], obtaining

[tex]T_2=T_1+\frac{1}{k_1}\frac{dT_1}{dt}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{dT_2}{dt}=\frac{dT_1}{dt}+\frac{1}{k_1}\frac{d^2T_1}{dt^2}[/tex]

Putting it into the second equation gives me

[tex]\frac{dT_1}{dt}+\frac{1}{k_1}\frac{d^2T_1}{dt^2}=-(k_1+k_2)(T_1+\frac{1}{k_1}\frac{dT_1}{dt})+k_1T_1+k_2T_3[/tex]

leaving me with

[tex]\frac{d^2T_1}{dt^2}+(2k_1+k_2)\frac{dT_1}{dt}+k_1k_2T_1-k_1k_2T_3=0[/tex]

Solving this yields

[tex]T_1=C_1e^{-\frac{1}{2}t(\sqrt{4k_1^2+k_2^2}-2k_1-k_2)}+C_2e^{\frac{1}{2}t(\sqrt{4k_1^2+k_2^2}-2k_1-k_2)}+T_3[/tex]

I wonder if this expression is an accurate description of how heat really transfers out of a thermos. For positive values of [tex]C_2[/tex], the function increases. That can't be, because [tex]T_1>T_2\geq T_3[/tex]. For negative values, it quickly drops to 0 K, absolute zero. That's illogical, because the function should approximate to [tex]T_3[/tex] after a long time. The only way for that to happen is if [tex]C_2=0[/tex]. Do you agree?

[tex]T_1=(T_1)_0e^{-\frac{1}{2}t(\sqrt{4k_1^2+k_2^2}-2k_1-k_2)}+T_3[/tex]

I replaced [tex]C_1[/tex] with [tex](T_1)_0[/tex] because it is the value of [tex]T_1[/tex] at [tex]t=0[/tex].

[tex]\frac{dT_1}{dt}=-(T_1)_0e^{-\frac{1}{2}t(\sqrt{4k_1^2+k_2^2}-2k_1-k_2)}(\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt{4k_1^2+k_2^2}-2k_1-k_2))[/tex]

Your model is not correct. You completely neglect the spatial aspect. The temperature in the region you have labeled T2 is not and will not be constant. It will be T1 adjacent to the inner boundary and T3 at the outer boundary. If you assume pure conduction (a bad assumption by the way!) then there will be continuous gradient in the T2 region.

You have also neglected material properties of the liquid in the center, the walls of the container and the air in the gap.

The wiki article on the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_equation"

Edit:
I should also mention that what you are calling the heat equation is simply not correct. See the wiki artical on the heat equation.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does a thermos prevent heat loss?

A thermos is designed with a double-wall construction, with a vacuum or insulating material in between the walls. This vacuum acts as an insulator, preventing heat from escaping through conduction or convection. Additionally, the inner and outer walls are made of materials with low thermal conductivity, further reducing heat transfer.

2. What is the role of the silvered surface in a thermos?

The silvered surface on the inner wall of a thermos helps to reflect heat back into the container. This means that heat that is radiated from the liquid inside the thermos is reflected back towards the liquid, reducing heat loss through radiation.

3. How long can a thermos keep liquids hot or cold?

The length of time a thermos can keep liquids hot or cold depends on several factors, such as the initial temperature of the liquid, the volume of liquid, and the ambient temperature. Generally, a well-insulated thermos can keep liquids hot or cold for 12-24 hours.

4. Can a thermos lose heat in extreme temperatures?

While a thermos is designed to minimize heat loss, extreme temperatures can still affect its performance. In very cold temperatures, the insulating material may freeze and decrease its effectiveness, while in very hot temperatures, the vacuum may collapse and reduce its insulating properties.

5. How can I maximize the heat retention of my thermos?

To maximize the heat retention of your thermos, you can preheat or pre-cool it before adding your desired liquid. This will help to minimize the initial temperature difference between the liquid and the thermos, reducing heat loss. You can also minimize the amount of times you open the thermos, as each time you open it, heat is lost and the temperature inside decreases. Additionally, make sure to properly seal the thermos after each use to prevent any heat loss.