1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat loss/Heat Gained

1. Dec 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

heat Lost Heat Gained
    M=.213 kg M=.868
    C=2090 J/kg K C=4186 J/kg K
    To=0 To=26.5
    T=? T=?

2. Relevant equations

Q=mc(delta T

3. The attempt at a solution I can not figure this out , I have tried and tried with no luck.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2009 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Heat flows from the hotter to the colder until they reach the same temperature. So you know that the temperature of each mass will be the same when equilibrium is reached. You have to determine the final temperature.
    Your equation for the heat flow is correct. So the equations for the change in temperature in terms of initial and final temperature are:

[tex]Q_1 = m_1C_1(T_1 - T_f)[/tex]

[tex]Q_2 = m_2C_2(T_f - T_2)[/tex]

What is the relationship between Q1 and Q2? That will enable you to solve for Tf.

AM

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  4. Dec 8, 2009 #3

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, Cashelz.
    I don't think you have typed in the whole question - not exactly sure what the question is!

Generally in these heat questions you write
    heat lost by one material = heat gained by the other
    mC*ΔT = mC*ΔT

I think your ΔT for the water will be (26.5 - T) where T is the final temperature.
    For the other material, looks like ΔT = (T - 0).
    Try putting all the info into the equation and see if you can find T.

5. Dec 8, 2009 #4
    Hello Thankyou!! The queastion reads An ice cube with a mass of .213kg and a temp. of0.00c is placed in a Styrofoam cup containing .868 of water at a temp. of 26.5 c . What is the final temp. of the water after the ice cube has melted?

6. Dec 8, 2009 #5

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Glad you gave us the question! Our previous answers do not apply to this question, which involves the melting of ice. It takes heat to melt ice, called the heat of fusion. So
    heat lost by water = heat of fusion of ice + heat gained by ice after melting

You should look up "heat of fusion" in your book and get the formula for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook