1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Heat of Atomization?

1. Dec 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So, my textbook doesn't go over these type of problems for heat of atomization , so im confused on how to write the chemical equations for them.

Question: The heat of atomization is the heat needed to separated gaseous atoms from a substance in its standard state. The equation for the atomization of graphite is C(graphite) --> C(gas)
    2. Relevant equations
    Given,
    1) Heat of formation for CH4 = -74.9 Kj/mol
    2)Heat of atomization for CH4 = 1660 kj/mol
    3) heat of atomization for H2 = 423 kj/mol

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the equation number 1, i got C(graphite) + 2H2 -> CH4(s)
    for number 2, i got C(graphite) + 4H -> C(g) + H(g)
    For 3, i got 1/2H2(g) --> H(g)

I'm not sure if the second one is write. I was thinking that if i was able to write the equations correctly, then i can do some cancellation so i get C(graphite) --> C(gas).

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2017 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

CH4 is not solid (check your first equation). In the second you should have just CH4(g) on the left, not some combination of separated elements.

4. Dec 2, 2017 #3
    So it should look like this?

C(graphite) + 2H2(g) -> CH4(g)
    CH4(g) -> C(g) + H(g)
    1/2H2(g) --> H(g)

How would the kj/mol change for each equation? Would they remain the same?

5. Dec 2, 2017 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

First two equations look OK, I think the last one should be doubled - it is about atomizing a molecule, not half of the molecule. But in general you should check what definition you were given, as these things are often ambiguous.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted