Discover the Heat of Combustion of Methane (CH4) Using Bond Energies

In summary, the conversation revolved around determining the heat of combustion of methane (CH4(g)). The participants discussed writing a balanced equation and using bond energies to calculate the value. While the experimental value obtained through Google was -890 KJ/mol, the calculation using the given bond energies resulted in a value of -794 KJ/mol. Possible discrepancies were pointed out due to the accuracy of the bond energies used. A link was shared for further reference.
Chocolaty
Determine the heat of combustion of methane (CH4(g)) by writing a balanced equation and using the bond energies indicated below.

C--H = 414 KJ/mol
O==O = 502 KJ/mol
C==O = 799 KJ/mol
O--H = 464 KJ/mol

I've googled it and apparently the answer is -890 KJ/mol but when I calculate it it gives me -794 KJ/mol. I must be doing something wrong :S

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting -794 KJ/mol as well. You googled the experimental value of the Heat of Combustion of methane? Maybe the difference is because the bond energies used are not fully accurate.

[tex] CH_4 + 2O_2 -> CO_2 + 2H_2O[/tex]
change in energy content = [tex]2*799 + 2*2*464 - (4*414 + 2*502) = -794KJ/mol[/tex]
:rofl: same
any1 to point out what's wrong?

well, your bond energies also do not agree.
see red corrections below:
Chocolaty said:
Determine the heat of combustion of methane (CH4(g)) by writing a balanced equation and using the bond energies indicated below.

C--H = 414 KJ/mol 415.2
O==O = 502 KJ/mol 390.2
C==O = 799 KJ/mol 746.7
O--H = 464 KJ/mol 438.1

I've googled it and apparently the answer is -890 KJ/mol but when I calculate it it gives me -794 KJ/mol. I must be doing something wrong :S
check below for details:
http://members.nuvox.net/~on.jwclymer/rq/hoctable.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Question 1: What is the heat of combustion?

The heat of combustion is the amount of energy released when a substance undergoes complete combustion with oxygen. It is a measure of the chemical potential energy stored in the substance.

Question 2: How is the heat of combustion measured?

The heat of combustion is typically measured using a bomb calorimeter, which is a device that allows for the complete burning of a substance in a controlled environment. The temperature change in the surrounding water is then used to calculate the heat of combustion.

Question 3: What factors affect the heat of combustion?

The heat of combustion can be affected by the type of substance being burned, the amount of oxygen present, and the temperature and pressure of the surrounding environment. It can also vary depending on the efficiency of the combustion process.

Question 4: How is the heat of combustion used in practical applications?

The heat of combustion is used to determine the energy content of fuels, such as gasoline or natural gas. It is also used to calculate the amount of heat released in industrial processes, such as power generation or manufacturing.

Question 5: Can the heat of combustion be negative?

Yes, in some cases, the heat of combustion can be negative if the reaction results in the formation of an endothermic product. This means that energy is being absorbed rather than released during the combustion process.