Calculating Time to Melt Substance at 80 C

• Thread starter lalala_land89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, a 40-ohm resistor is connected to a portion of an electric circuit embedded in 0.2 kg of a solid substance in a calorimeter. The external portion of the circuit is connected to a 60 V power supply. At 80 C, the substance begins to melt with a heat of fusion of 1.35*10^5 J/kg. To find the time it takes to melt all of the substance, one must determine the energy delivered per second to the substance. The power of the power supply can be found using the formula P=UI and Ohm's Law.
lalala_land89
a portion of an electirc circuit connected toa 40-ohm resistor is embedded in .2 kg of a solid substance in a calorimeter. The externam portion of the circuit is connected to a 60 V power supply.

At 80 C the substance begins to melt. The heat of fusion of the substance is 1.35*10^5 J/kg. How long after the temperature reaches 80 C will it take to melt all of the substance?

I really don't understand how to find time. I get that there's a way to find heat of fusion, but it's already given to me. help please

i have originally posted this in the advanced physics but no one helped. maybe someone here will.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the energy delivered per second to the substance?

Can you find the power of the power supply? (Hint: P=UI and Ohm's Law)

I understand your confusion and I am happy to help you with this problem. To calculate the time it takes for the substance to melt at 80 C, we need to use the equation Q = mCΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

In this case, we know the heat of fusion (1.35*10^5 J/kg) and the mass of the substance (0.2 kg), but we need to find the specific heat capacity. The specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of 1 kg of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. Since the substance is already at 80 C, we can assume that it has reached its melting point and its specific heat capacity is now the heat of fusion. Therefore, we can substitute 1.35*10^5 J/kg as the specific heat capacity in the equation.

Next, we need to find the total heat energy required to melt the substance. This can be calculated by multiplying the heat of fusion by the mass of the substance, which gives us 1.35*10^5 J.

Now, we can rearrange the equation to solve for time (t): t = Q / (mCΔT). Plugging in the values, we get t = (1.35*10^5 J) / (0.2 kg * 1.35*10^5 J/kg * 80 C) = 1 second.

Therefore, it will take 1 second for the substance to melt completely at 80 C. I hope this helps you understand how to calculate the time it takes for a substance to melt. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. How do you calculate the time it takes for a substance to melt at 80 C?

The time it takes for a substance to melt at 80 C can be calculated by dividing the heat of fusion by the rate of heat transfer. This can be represented by the formula: time = heat of fusion / heat transfer rate.

2. What is the heat of fusion?

The heat of fusion is the amount of energy required to change a substance from a solid to a liquid state. It is usually measured in joules per gram (J/g).

3. How do you determine the rate of heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer can be determined by multiplying the thermal conductivity of the substance by the temperature difference between the solid and liquid states. This can be represented by the formula: heat transfer rate = thermal conductivity * (liquid temperature - solid temperature).

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the time it takes for a substance to melt at 80 C?

Yes, the time it takes for a substance to melt at 80 C can also be affected by the shape and size of the substance, as well as any external factors such as pressure or impurities in the substance.

5. Can this calculation be used for all substances?

No, the calculation for determining the time it takes for a substance to melt at 80 C may vary for different substances depending on their unique properties such as density, specific heat, and thermal conductivity. It is important to use the correct values for each substance in the calculation.