Calorimetry Lab: Find Heat Absorbed by Water

In summary, for a calorimetry lab, the heat absorbed by the water in the calorimeter can be found using the equation q = m * c * ΔT, where m is the mass of the water and c is the specific heat. If the density of the solution is 1.0 g/mL, then the mass of the water can be assumed to be equal to the volume in milliliters. If further assistance is needed, please provide more specific details.
P-Illiterate
I did a calorimetry lab and here's my result
[PLAIN]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2953/fullscreencapture111420.jpg

I'm supposed to find the heat absorbed by the water in the calorimeter, assuming the density of the solution to be 1.0 g/mL

I kniow I have to use the equation
q-rxn-mass*specific heat *change in temp.

but how do i find the mass of water.
Please help me

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a measurement of water in milliliters, and they give you the density of 1.0 g/mL, you can assume that milliliters=grams. That should give you the mass of water.

I'm not sure what else you're asking, but we did a lab pretty similar to this not too long ago, so just let me know if you need help!

1. What is the purpose of a Calorimetry Lab?

The purpose of a Calorimetry Lab is to measure the heat exchange between a system and its surroundings. This allows for the determination of the specific heat capacity of a substance, as well as the amount of heat absorbed or released during a chemical or physical process.

2. How does a Calorimetry Lab work?

A Calorimetry Lab typically involves placing a substance with a known heat capacity, such as water, into a calorimeter and measuring the change in temperature of the substance after it comes into contact with the system being studied. By using the formula Q = mcΔT, the amount of heat absorbed or released can be calculated.

3. What are the main components of a Calorimetry Lab?

The main components of a Calorimetry Lab include a calorimeter, a thermometer, a stirrer, and a substance with a known heat capacity. The calorimeter is a container that is well-insulated to minimize heat exchange with the surroundings. The thermometer is used to measure the temperature change of the substance, while the stirrer ensures that the temperature is evenly distributed throughout the substance.

4. What are the sources of error in a Calorimetry Lab?

The sources of error in a Calorimetry Lab include heat loss to the surroundings, incomplete mixing of the substance, and inaccurate measurement of the temperature change. These errors can be minimized by using an insulated calorimeter, stirring the substance thoroughly, and using precise instruments for temperature measurement.

5. What are some real-life applications of Calorimetry?

Calorimetry has many real-life applications, including measuring the amount of heat absorbed or released during chemical reactions, determining the specific heat capacity of substances, and studying the energy content of foods. It is also used in the development and testing of new materials and in environmental studies to measure the energy output of different sources.