Heat of Reaction: NaOH & HCl | Expert Advice Needed

In summary, the speaker conducted an experiment with 5.5g of NaOH and 200ml of 1.0 mol/l of HCl, and is now unsure if using 11.0g of NaOH instead would affect the amount of heat evolved. The recommendation is to look up the heat of formation data for HCl and NaOH and check if the sum is negative or positive. If it is negative, using more NaOH would decrease the enthalpy of the reaction, and if it is positive, it would increase the heat evolved.
msdel
I conducted an expereiment where I added 5.5g of NaOH into 200ml of 1.0 mol/l of HCl. I've done all the calculations required but there is a questoin I am just not sure about. It asked if i was to add 11.0g of NaOH instead of the 5.5g i used would this have an effect on the amount of heat evolved? I was thinking that the heat evolved would stay the same...

Can anyone help me understand this one?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Look up the heat of formation data for HCL and NaOH. If the sum of those two is negative then the enthalpy of the reaction will decrease if you use twice as much NaOH since the enthaply of a reaction is directly related to the amount of starting material you use. If the sum of those two is positive then the enthalpy of the reaction will increase.

Last edited:
Since NaOH has a mol. wt. of 40g/mol, 5.5g of it is only about .14 mol. You used .2 mol of HCl, so adding more NaOH would cause a further reaction. This would increase the heat evolved.

1. What is the heat of reaction between NaOH and HCl?

The heat of reaction between NaOH and HCl is -55.8 kJ/mol. This means that when one mole of NaOH reacts with one mole of HCl, 55.8 kilojoules of heat are released.

2. Why is the heat of reaction between NaOH and HCl negative?

The heat of reaction is negative because the reaction between NaOH and HCl is exothermic, meaning it releases heat as it proceeds. This is due to the formation of strong ionic bonds between Na+ and Cl- ions, which releases energy.

3. How is the heat of reaction between NaOH and HCl calculated?

The heat of reaction is calculated by using the formula Q = m*c*ΔT, where Q is the heat released or absorbed, m is the mass of the solution, c is the specific heat capacity of the solution, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This can be done experimentally or through theoretical calculations using thermodynamic data.

4. Does the concentration of NaOH and HCl affect the heat of reaction?

Yes, the concentration of NaOH and HCl can affect the heat of reaction. The higher the concentration of the reactants, the higher the heat of reaction will be, as there are more moles of reactants present to undergo the exothermic reaction.

5. What factors can influence the heat of reaction between NaOH and HCl?

Apart from concentration, other factors that can influence the heat of reaction between NaOH and HCl include temperature, pressure, and the presence of catalysts. These factors can alter the rate of the reaction and therefore affect the amount of heat released or absorbed.