Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat of Solution?

1. Feb 10, 2008 #1
    You guys wouldn't happen to know where I can find a database or something that tells me the "Heat of Solution" for different compounds. In my assignment it tells me to "look up" the heat of solution for Calcium Chloride and Sodium Bicarbonate....... Like I can't even calculate it since they don't give me anything to work with. It just tells me to look them up. Could you guys help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics
    ps. It's one of those offline paper things in the building with lots of offline paper things in.

4. Feb 10, 2008 #3
    What exactly is that? Everywhere I go people mention that. Don't I have to have an account of something to receive access?

5. Feb 10, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a brick size and weight reference for every physics/chemistty number you will ever need. It's also very useful for supporting lab equipement and killing insects.
    I don't think it's available online (unless your school has some sort of deal)

It's been out for about 100 editions but doesn't change much (when did the atomic mass of Sodium last change?) so it's worth picking up old editions from junk stores.

6. Feb 10, 2008 #5
    oo ok. Thanks for the info, but I really only need the Heat of Solution and solubilities for Calcium Chloride and Sodium Bicarbonate now.

7. Feb 10, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Feb 10, 2008 #7
    Thanks but i dont see anything about heat of solution there :S

9. Feb 10, 2008 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

10. Feb 11, 2008 #9
    Thanks for the help :P, but i just need one more thing. You wouldn't happen to know where I could find the acid dissociation constant, and base dissociation constant of a bicarbonate ion would you? (K_a, and K_b) Sorry, but these assignment didn't have any instructions and it just told us to research it but I looked for hours and hours yesterday and didn't find a thing...

11. Feb 11, 2008 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

12. Feb 11, 2008 #11
    There's nothing for a bicarbonate ion :(

EDIT: um nvm, dont worry about it. Thanks again. I just happened to find it in my textbook:P Thanks for the help :P

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?