Calculating Heat of Vaporization for Substance X using Vapor Pressure Data

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the heat of vaporization for a substance using vapor pressure data and a given equation. The correct answer is known to be 46.7 kJ/mol, but the person is consistently getting a different answer. Possible reasons for this discrepancy are suggested, such as trying different combinations of temperatures and pressures and making sure the units are consistent. It is also mentioned that experimental values can be slightly off.
priscilla98

Homework Statement

Using the following vapor pressure data solve for the heat of vaporization for substance x.

T VP

20 100
30 175
40 325

Homework Equations

ln (P1/P2) = -Heat of vap/RT (1/T2 - 1/T1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is 46.7 kJ/mol. But I'm getting a different answer.

ln (175/100) = x/(8.314) (1/303 - 1/298)
x = 41305 J
x = 41.3 kJ/mol

I'm always getting an answer close to 46.7 kJ/mol but not the exact answer.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Does trying different combinations of the temperatures and pressures give the same (incorrect) answer? I noticed you didn't give a unit for pressure; make sure that you don't need to convert to a different unit, as you did with temperature.

cep said:
I noticed you didn't give a unit for pressure; make sure that you don't need to convert to a different unit, as you did with temperature.

Doesn't matter, p1/p2 is unitless.

If these are experimental values they can be slightly off, perhaps that's what the exercise is about.

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the heat of vaporization for Substance X?

The heat of vaporization for Substance X can be calculated by using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, which relates the vapor pressure of a substance to its temperature and heat of vaporization. The equation is: ΔHvap = -R x (1/T2 - 1/T1) x ln(P2/P1) where R is the gas constant, T1 and T2 are the initial and final temperatures, and P1 and P2 are the initial and final vapor pressures.

2. What data do I need to calculate the heat of vaporization for Substance X?

To calculate the heat of vaporization for Substance X, you will need the vapor pressure data at two different temperatures and the gas constant (R). The vapor pressure data can be obtained from experimental measurements or from a published table. The gas constant has a value of 8.314 J/mol·K.

3. Can I use any two temperatures to calculate the heat of vaporization for Substance X?

No, the two temperatures used in the Clausius-Clapeyron equation must be within a reasonable range and should have a significant difference. The ideal temperature range is between the boiling point and the triple point of the substance. It is also important to make sure that the temperature difference is not too small, as it can lead to inaccurate results.

4. How does the heat of vaporization for Substance X vary with temperature?

The heat of vaporization for Substance X generally decreases with increasing temperature. This is due to the fact that as the temperature increases, the molecules of the substance have more energy and are more likely to overcome the intermolecular forces holding them together, resulting in a lower heat of vaporization.

5. Why is it important to calculate the heat of vaporization for Substance X?

The heat of vaporization is an important thermodynamic property that helps us understand the behavior of a substance during the phase change from liquid to gas. It is also useful in various industrial processes, such as distillation and refrigeration, where the heat of vaporization plays a crucial role. Additionally, knowing the heat of vaporization can also help in determining the purity of a substance and identifying unknown substances.