Heat or Work: Changes in Thermal Energy

• Thread starter eraemia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Work
In summary: When two objects are in contact with each other, heat will flow from the hotter one to the colder one until they reach thermal equilibrium, where they both have the same temperature. This is known as the Second Law of Thermodynamics. In summary, the first question asks about changes in thermal energy due to heat flow or work, and the correct answers are b and c. The second question involves a 150-g granite stone being placed in a tub of water at 0 degrees Celsius, and the final temperature is predicted to be 50 degrees Celsius. This is false because the final temperature would actually be closer to 16 degrees Celsius. The key is to consider if there is a force producing work or just thermal contact between substances. In regards to
eraemia
BRITNEY SPEARS: Heat or Work?

Homework Statement

1. Which of the following represent a change in an object's thermal energy due to the flow of heat, rather than work being done on the object? You may choose more than one response.

a. Liquid nitrogen poured on a slab of ice boils furiously. Liquid nitrogen boils at 77 K.
b. A meteorite entering the Earth's atmosphere becomes white hot.
c. A hot cup of tea rapidly cools on a wintry day.
d. A drill bit gets hot as it drills a hole through a hardened steel alloy.

A 150-g granite stone is heated to an initial temperature of 100 degrees Celsius. It is then placed in an insulated tub holding 150 g of water at 0 degrees Celsius. The water will cool down the granite so that the final temperature of both is 50 degrees Celsius.

a. True
b. False

2. The attempt at a solution

Well, I think that the answer is b, and c
B and c seem to involve temperature differences
while d is clearly work flowing across the object's boundary, I'm not so sure about a, which seems to be an intentional kind of work

True
Tf-Ti = 150-100 = 50?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is required to do work? When you know what it is the answers become clear.

For number two, what happens when two different substances are in thermal contact? That is, what properties determine how heat transfers?

well i figured out 2
.15*790 = 118.5 J/K
.15*4186 = 627.9 J/K

[ (118.5)(373K) + (627.9)(273) ] / (118.5+627.9) = 16 C
so it's false

but about 1, i know the definitions of heat and work
but is my thinking correct, that both b and c are demonstrations of heat, whereas a and d that of work? if not, where has my thinking gone astray?

eraemia said:
well i figured out 2
.15*790 = 118.5 J/K
.15*4186 = 627.9 J/K

[ (118.5)(373K) + (627.9)(273) ] / (118.5+627.9) = 16 C
so it's false

but about 1, i know the definitions of heat and work
but is my thinking correct, that both b and c are demonstrations of heat, whereas a and d that of work? if not, where has my thinking gone astray?

For 1 there need to be a force to do work. Think about the meteorite entering the atmosphere. It experiences friction. Now think about the liquid nitrogen. Is there any force acting there or are they just in thermal contact.

Question two looks ok.

Hints

Use common-sense everyday approaches. Classical physics almost always makes sense. If you want to see if there is work producing heat, ask yourself "Are 2 or more things rubbing together?" If you want to know if there is heat transfer, ask yourself "Are there temperature differences big enough so the final temperature fits in between the original hot and cold temperatures?" These are very simple questions and not very numerically accurate, but they point the way to go.

In regards to number 2, remember there is a great difference between temperature and heat content (energy).

1. What is the difference between heat and work?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another due to a temperature difference, while work is the transfer of energy that results in a change in the motion or position of an object.

2. How do you measure heat and work?

Heat is typically measured in units of Joules (J) or calories (cal), while work is measured in units of Joules (J) or Newton-meters (Nm).

3. Can heat be converted into work, or vice versa?

Yes, heat can be converted into work through a process called thermodynamic heat engine, such as a steam engine. However, the conversion is not 100% efficient, meaning some heat will always be lost in the process.

4. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

5. How does heat and work affect the internal energy of a system?

The internal energy of a system is the sum of its heat and work. If heat is added to a system, its internal energy will increase, while work done on the system will increase its internal energy as well. However, if heat is lost or work is done by the system, its internal energy will decrease.