How Much Heat Is Required to Vaporize Water in Homework Problem 2.9?

So the mass of the water is 2.9*10-3 kg.In summary, the work done by the gas during the process of boiling 2.9 cm3 of water at atmospheric pressure to become 5271.2 cm3 of steam is 533.81 J. To find the amount of heat added to the water, the equation Q=mass * Lv is used with the mass of water being 2.9*10-3 kg and the latent heat of vaporization of water being 2.26 × 106 J/kg. The answer is 5.11 J.
notsam

Homework Statement

2.9 cm3 of water is boiled at atmospheric
pressure to become 5271.2 cm3 of steam, also
at atmospheric pressure.
Calculate the work done by the gas during
this process. The latent heat of vaporization
of water is 2.26 × 106 J/kg .
Answer in units of J.
(part 2) Find the amount of heat added to the water
to accomplish this process.
Answer in units of J.

Homework Equations

W= pV, Q=mLv

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok SO the awnser to the first part is 533.81 J. What I don't understand is the second part. The equation that I think I use is Q=mass * Lv...but I don't know my mass...

Physics news on Phys.org

At atmospheric pressure, water has a density of 1000 kg/m3.

1. What is heat and how is it related to temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred between objects due to a difference in temperature. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. When two objects with different temperatures come into contact, heat will flow from the warmer object to the cooler object until they reach thermal equilibrium.

2. How is heat transferred?

Heat can be transferred through three main methods: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat and temperature are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different concepts. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance, while heat is the transfer of energy due to a temperature difference. In other words, temperature is a measure of how hot or cold something is, while heat is the energy that causes a change in temperature.

4. How does heat affect the properties of materials?

Heat can change the properties of materials in various ways. For example, when heat is added to a solid, it can cause it to expand and become a liquid. Heat can also change the electrical conductivity, magnetism, and chemical properties of materials. In general, heat can cause physical and chemical changes in materials, depending on the amount and duration of exposure.

5. What is the role of heat in thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that studies the relationship between heat, energy, and work. Heat plays a crucial role in thermodynamics as it is one of the forms of energy that can be transferred between objects. The laws of thermodynamics govern the behavior of heat and its conversion into other forms of energy, such as mechanical work.