Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat pipe design

1. Jul 5, 2006 #1
    HI friends

Please recommen any good book on the design and analysis of heat pipes
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

References from this site:

1. Brennan, P.J. and Kroliczek, E.J., Heat Pipe Design Handbook, B&K Engineering, NASA Contract No. NAS5-23406, June 1979.
    2. Chi, S.W., Heat Pipe Theory and Practice, Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, 1976.
    3. Dunn, P.D. and Reay, D.A., Heat Pipes, 3rd. Edition, Permagon Press, 1982.
    4. Eastman, G. Yale and Ernst D.M., Heat Transfer Technology (Heat Pipe), Kirk-Othmer: Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, Volume 12, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1980.
    5. Peterson, G.P., An Introduction to Heat Pipes Modeling, Testing, and Applications, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1994.
  4. Nov 9, 2008 #3

I am also looking for good resources on heat pipe design. I am a mechanical engineer and am currently working to develop a unique heat pipe design. I am specifically looking for design guidelines, keystone research papers, best practices, etc. The areas I am looking to research include optimal operating parameters and materials for the wick component, and phase change and enthalpy/entropy data for various combinations and vacuum levels for the liquid/vapor carrier fluid.

I am just getting started on this adventure and am looking for good recommendations for resources that are reasonably priced, cheap, or free. I am not in academia so do not have easy access to expensive textbooks or technical journals. I am willing to pay for highly recommended material, so please let me know what you recommend.

5. Nov 9, 2008 #4
    You and me both. I've been doing quite a bit of searching and found heat pipe research publishing's rather difficult to find in english. I have found a lot of research done in Russia and in some cases China but not to many resources I can understand. If I come across any good resources I will let you know.
  6. Nov 9, 2008 #5
    There is a very thorough and current article in the latest (November 2008) issue of Electronics cooling magazine, here: http://www.electronics-cooling.com/html/2008_nov_a3.php

The print magazine is free. I highly recommend it.

Also, there are some excellent references in the footnotes of the article.
  7. Jan 20, 2009 #6
    Google heat pipe design amazon booksand you will find the following very informative book.

Heat Pipes, Fifth Edition: Theory, Design and Applications (Hardcover)
    by David Reay (Author), Peter Kew (Author)
    Key Phrases: rotating heat pipe, wicked heat pipe, conductivity viscos, Heat Mass Transf, New York, United States (more...)
    No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
    List Price: $75.95
    Price: $60.76 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
    You Save: $15.19 (20%)
    Upgrade this book for $14.59 more, and you can read, search, and annotate every page online. See details
    In Stock.
    Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Want it delivered Thursday, January 22?
    Order it in the next 20 hours and 51 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout.
    See details

12 new from $56.99 4 used from $60.00
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?