Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat pipe for high temperature

1. Nov 24, 2009 #1
    Hi! I wish to design a heat pipe for high temperature (up to 1300 degree Celsius). What material can I use? What about aluminum powder? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not understanding what you want to do. I don't recognize your usage of the term "heat pipe" in this context and don't understand if you are talking about the material for the pipe or something going in the pipe.

4. Nov 25, 2009 #3
    Thank you very much! I wish to transfer the heat from one chamber to another speedily. I wish to know what is the material that I could use as the conducting agent (in the tube). The heat pipe I am going to use is at 1250 degree Celsius. Thanks.

5. Nov 25, 2009 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All it took was a quick search on Google to find what you're looking for: http://www.thermacore.com/Technologies/high-temperature-heat-pipes.aspx" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Nov 26, 2009 #5
    Thank you very much. I wish to know if aluminum could be used as conducting agent or not. Lithium is quick expansive. Kindly help.

7. Nov 27, 2009 #6

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For a heat pipe to operate, the fluid used in it has to be heated to it's boiling point. Since Aluminum's boiling point is 2519 degrees C, it won't work for the temperatures you're talking about.

8. Nov 27, 2009 #7
    Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook