Heat pipe for high temperature

In summary, the conversation involves designing a heat pipe for high temperatures and determining the appropriate material to use as a conducting agent. The individual is looking for a material that can withstand temperatures up to 1300 degrees Celsius and efficiently transfer heat from one chamber to another. The use of aluminum powder is suggested, but it is determined that it is not suitable for the high temperatures being discussed. Other options such as lithium, cesium, potassium, and sodium are mentioned as possible working fluids for heat pipes in high temperature applications.
lufferwong
Hi! I wish to design a heat pipe for high temperature (up to 1300 degree Celsius). What material can I use? What about aluminum powder? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not understanding what you want to do. I don't recognize your usage of the term "heat pipe" in this context and don't understand if you are talking about the material for the pipe or something going in the pipe.

Thank you very much! I wish to transfer the heat from one chamber to another speedily. I wish to know what is the material that I could use as the conducting agent (in the tube). The heat pipe I am going to use is at 1250 degree Celsius. Thanks.

All it took was a quick search on Google to find what you're looking for: http://www.thermacore.com/Technologies/high-temperature-heat-pipes.aspx"

Industry Leading Thermal Performance
High heat flux: Lithium heat pipe operated at 126 kW/cm2

Working Fluids Include:
Cesium: 300°C to 600°C
Potassium: 400°C to 1000°C
Sodium: 500°C to 1200°C
Lithium: 900°C to 1700°C

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much. I wish to know if aluminum could be used as conducting agent or not. Lithium is quick expansive. Kindly help.

For a heat pipe to operate, the fluid used in it has to be heated to it's boiling point. Since Aluminum's boiling point is 2519 degrees C, it won't work for the temperatures you're talking about.

Thank you very much!

1. What is a heat pipe for high temperature?

A heat pipe for high temperature is a type of heat transfer device that is used to efficiently transfer heat from one location to another at high temperatures, typically above 500°C.

2. How does a heat pipe for high temperature work?

A heat pipe for high temperature works by utilizing the principles of phase change and capillary action to transfer heat. It consists of a sealed tube filled with a working fluid, which evaporates at the hot end and condenses at the cool end, transferring heat in the process.

3. What are the benefits of using a heat pipe for high temperature?

The benefits of using a heat pipe for high temperature include high thermal conductivity, low thermal resistance, and the ability to transport heat over long distances. It also has no moving parts, making it a reliable and low maintenance solution for heat transfer.

4. What are the common applications of a heat pipe for high temperature?

Heat pipes for high temperature are commonly used in applications such as heat exchangers, heat sinks, and thermal management systems for electronics and machinery. They are also used in industrial processes, power plants, and aerospace applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using heat pipes for high temperature?

While heat pipes for high temperature have many advantages, they do have some limitations. They are not suitable for transferring heat from a low temperature source, and their effectiveness can be reduced if the working fluid freezes at low temperatures. They also have a limited operating temperature range, typically up to 1000°C.