Heat Powered Fan: Get Expert Advice Here

• Thread starter dawnbledsoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary: I like Russ' idea. You could build a small steam engine on or beside the stove, with a coil of tubing or a tank inside the stove as a boiler. (With the bonus that the exhaust would be a small-scale humidifier. :biggrin:) It might be too noisy, though.My own first thought was to put a turbine (just a simple pinwheel type) in the chimney with a driveshaft going to the fan, but I can't see that producing a lot of breeze.
dawnbledsoe
Hello I'm new to the PF? My main reason for posting was to understand how I may begin to create a heat powered fan for my wood stove? Would someone be willing to help please?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What and why do you want to vent exactly? Is it to be heated by the stove itself? Just want to make sure I get this.

If you intend to copy an Ecofan, don't bother. We have one that was given to us, and it is pretty useless for moving air. It's main value is as a visible indicator that the stove's surface temperature is falling. Other than that, it's a conversation piece at best.

Are the "heat driven fans" in question driven by stirling engines?

turbo-1 said:
If you intend to copy an Ecofan, don't bother. We have one that was given to us, and it is pretty useless for moving air. It's main value is as a visible indicator that the stove's surface temperature is falling. Other than that, it's a conversation piece at best.

I just checked these out, and they can apparently provide around 100 CFM. If so, then having a half-dozen of these on the stove should be more than enough to make a noticeable difference.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
I just checked these out, and they can apparently provide around 100 CFM. If so, then having a half-dozen of these on the stove should be more than enough to make a noticeable difference.
Buy one and test the 100 cfm claim. You won't buy more.

turbo-1 said:
Buy one and test the 100 cfm claim. You won't buy more.

Thanks for the review!

You can buy little steam engines...

russ_watters said:
You can buy little steam engines...

It would be interesting to compare with peltier devices.

Well thank you for all the replies. My wood stove is in the living room and straight in front of the hallway I was looking to circulate the warm air down that hallway. But I want to take on a home project instead of buying one.

dawnbledsoe said:
Hello I'm new to the PF? My main reason for posting was to understand how I may begin to create a heat powered fan for my wood stove? Would someone be willing to help please?

i also face this problem...

untill now i not know how to get heat my wood stove easily.

I like Russ' idea. You could build a small steam engine on or beside the stove, with a coil of tubing or a tank inside the stove as a boiler. (With the bonus that the exhaust would be a small-scale humidifier. :biggrin:) It might be too noisy, though.
My own first thought was to put a turbine (just a simple pinwheel type) in the chimney with a driveshaft going to the fan, but I can't see that producing a lot of breeze.

1. What is a heat powered fan?

A heat powered fan is a device that uses the heat from a stove, fireplace, or other heat source to power a fan that circulates warm air throughout a room. It does not require electricity or batteries to operate.

2. How does a heat powered fan work?

A heat powered fan works by using the temperature difference between the bottom and top of the fan's base to create an electrical current through the use of thermoelectric modules. This current powers a motor that rotates the fan blades and circulates the warm air.

3. What are the benefits of using a heat powered fan?

Using a heat powered fan can help to evenly distribute warm air throughout a room, making it more comfortable and reducing the need for other heating sources. It is also environmentally friendly, as it does not require electricity or produce any emissions.

4. Are heat powered fans safe to use?

Yes, heat powered fans are generally safe to use. They do not have any exposed heating elements and do not produce any fumes or emissions. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions while using the fan.

5. Can a heat powered fan be used with any type of heat source?

Heat powered fans are designed to work with a variety of heat sources, including stoves, fireplaces, wood burners, and even candles. However, it is important to make sure that the fan is compatible with your specific heat source before using it.