1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HEAT Presentation Help

1. Aug 18, 2003 #1
    HEAT Presentation Help !!

Hi, I have to give a 10 minute presentation on HEAT soon. The topic is quite broad as its more of a research project. The idea being that I pick any aspect or characteristic relitive to HEAT and go quite in depth with the research.

I really dont know where to start to be honest, I am looking for any sugestions or comments on what you would concentrate on? Or any possible subjects you recomend?

I was considering looking into how "Friction" produces HEAT but cant see it filling 10 minutes!!

If you can recomend any sites with good information I would greatly appreciate it.

Many Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2003 #2

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thermodynamics and entropy maybe?

4. Aug 18, 2003 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh, it can fill 10 minutes all right. You'd be surprised how much time it takes to explain anything!

First of all, wow your instructor with the proper terminology: "heat" is specifically the transfer of thermal energy between objects (I think I just said that in another post). Thermal energy (or properly "internal energy") is a measurement of the amount of vibration of the atoms and molecules of an object).

When molecules jiggle faster, then they are "hotter."

Do a search for "friction" AND "internal energy" and look for short, simple explanations

5. Aug 19, 2003 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you don't tell us what grade level this is at, it's hard to make recommendations.

You might wish to "kill some time" by discussing the difference between "heat" and "temperature".

6. Aug 19, 2003 #5
    Thanks for all the current comments !!

It is actually for year 1 of a BA Hons Degree course. I know that doesnt really make sence as its an Illustration course, but this is what I have to do. As its an Illustration course it would be wise to use some visual communication too. So I am planning on using the overhead projector to display some Illustrations about the topic.

I will look into, internal energy, thermodynamics and entropy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?