Tracing Energy Transfer in Heat and Work: Hands Rubbing and Water Evaporation

• Thread starter krzyrice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, when you rub your hands together, the heat is transferred to the surrounding energy. When the friction between your hands and the surface is gone, the heat is cooled down. The heat from the friction between the drill and metal is also transferred, but it causes sparks. These sparks heat up the metal and make the water evaporate faster. Thanks for your help.
krzyrice
Heat Problem! NEED HELP!

Homework Statement

In each of the following cases, trace the chain of energy transfer (as heat or as work) as well as changes in internal energy.
a. You rub your hands together to warm them one cold day, and they soon become cold again.
b. A hole is drilled into a block of metal. When a small amount of water is placed in the drilled hole, steam rises from the hole.

Homework Equations

I think none

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Energy from the friction when you rub your hands together creates heat. When that friction is gone, the heat is cooled down by the surrounding energy.

b) The drill creates friction with the block of metal. The friction creates sparks which heats up the block of metal and makes the temperature go up. So when the water touches the bottom of the hole, that heat causes the water to evaporate.

Please tell me if that explanation is good enough and if I should add or remove anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
krzyrice said:

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Energy from the friction when you rub your hands together creates heat. When that friction is gone, the heat is cooled down by the surrounding energy.

b) The drill creates friction with the block of metal. The friction creates sparks which heats up the block of metal and makes the temperature go up. So when the water touches the bottom of the hole, that heat causes the water to evaporate.

Please tell me if that explanation is good enough and if I should add or remove anything.

a) "The heat is lost to the surrounding because the latter is colder than the hands" would be more appropriate.

b) The mention of the sparks is not necessary, because sparks may not fly always. The fact that the metal heats up enough to boil water or at least high enough to increase it's rate of evaporation significantly due to the friction is enough. (Generally, it heats up to more than 100 deg C.)

thanks for your help. The explanation helped me settled some confusions about this.

1. What is a heat problem?

A heat problem refers to any issue or complication related to the transfer or management of heat in a system or environment.

2. How do you solve a heat problem?

Solving a heat problem involves identifying the source of the issue, understanding the properties and behavior of heat in the system, and implementing a solution that addresses the root cause of the problem.

3. What are the common causes of heat problems?

Some common causes of heat problems include inadequate insulation, malfunctioning or inefficient heating and cooling systems, and external factors such as extreme weather conditions.

4. How can heat problems impact daily life?

Heat problems can have a significant impact on daily life, as they can affect comfort levels, energy efficiency, and even the safety and functionality of certain devices or systems. For example, a malfunctioning heating system can make a home uncomfortable or even uninhabitable during cold weather.

5. What are some methods for preventing heat problems?

Some preventive measures for heat problems include regular maintenance and servicing of heating and cooling systems, proper insulation of buildings, and using energy-efficient appliances and equipment. It is also important to be aware of potential heat sources and how they can impact a system or environment.