How many g of ice melt before thermal equilibrium is attained

In summary: Then m = 1, which means 1 gram of ice will melt before equilibrium is attained. In summary, 8 grams of water at 100 degrees C will cause 1 gram of ice to melt before reaching thermal equilibrium with a very large block of ice initially at 0 degrees C.
cathliccat
The question is "8 grams of water at 100 degrees C are poured into a cavity in a very large block of ice initially at 0 degrees C. How many g of ice melt before thermal equilibrium is attained round off to the nearest whole number?"

As I understnd it I need to:
(heat to change ice to water)+(heat to raise water from 0degrees C to T)=(heat lost by 8g of water cooling from 100degrees C to T)

My book shows the formula for this is:
(mass of the ice*Lf) + (mass of ice*c)=(mass of water*c)(100degrees-T)

So:
m(333kJ/kg)+m(4186J/kg*degC)*(T)=.008kg(4186J/kg*degC)*(100degC-T)

The m is what I'm solving for, what do I do about the T? I know its in equilibrium, but I don't know what it is. I can't solve for both.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
"8 grams of water at 100 degrees C are poured into a cavity in a very large block of ice initially at 0 degrees C."

A "very large block of ice". That means that there is sufficient ice that some will still be frozen when equilibrium is reached. The equilibrium temperature is still 0 degrees C. Take T= 0.

To solve for the T in this equation, we can use the fact that at thermal equilibrium, the temperature of the ice and water will be the same. This means that T in both the left and right sides of the equation will be equal. So we can substitute T with whatever value we want, as long as it is the same on both sides. Let's choose T = 0 degrees C since that is the initial temperature of the ice.

Plugging in T = 0 degrees C, we get:

m(333 kJ/kg) + m(4186 J/kg*degC)*(0 degC) = .008 kg(4186 J/kg*degC)*(100 degC - 0 degC)

Simplifying this equation, we get:

m(333 kJ/kg) = .008 kg(4186 J/kg*degC)*(100 degC)

Now we can solve for m by dividing both sides by 333 kJ/kg:

m = (.008 kg(4186 J/kg*degC)*(100 degC))/(333 kJ/kg)

m = 0.025 kg = 25 g

Therefore, 25 grams of ice will melt before thermal equilibrium is attained.

1. How is thermal equilibrium defined in terms of melting ice?

Thermal equilibrium is the state in which the temperature of a system remains constant because the rate of heat gained from the surroundings is equal to the rate of heat lost from the system.

2. What factors affect the rate of ice melting before thermal equilibrium is reached?

The rate of ice melting before thermal equilibrium is reached can be affected by factors such as the temperature of the surroundings, the initial temperature of the ice, and the specific heat capacity of the material.

3. Can the amount of ice present affect the time it takes to reach thermal equilibrium?

Yes, the amount of ice present can affect the time it takes to reach thermal equilibrium. The more ice there is, the longer it will take to melt and reach thermal equilibrium.

4. Is there a specific amount of ice that needs to melt before thermal equilibrium is attained?

No, there is no specific amount of ice that needs to melt before thermal equilibrium is attained. The rate at which ice melts and reaches thermal equilibrium depends on the factors mentioned in question 2.

5. Can thermal equilibrium be attained without any ice melting?

Yes, thermal equilibrium can be attained without any ice melting if the temperature of the surroundings and the initial temperature of the ice are the same, and there is no external heat source affecting the system.