1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat problem

1. Nov 14, 2003 #1
    The question is "8 grams of water at 100 degrees C are poured into a cavity in a very large block of ice initially at 0 degrees C. How many g of ice melt before thermal equilibrium is attained round off to the nearest whole number?"

As I understnd it I need to:
    (heat to change ice to water)+(heat to raise water from 0degrees C to T)=(heat lost by 8g of water cooling from 100degrees C to T)

My book shows the formula for this is:
    (mass of the ice*Lf) + (mass of ice*c)=(mass of water*c)(100degrees-T)

So:
    m(333kJ/kg)+m(4186J/kg*degC)*(T)=.008kg(4186J/kg*degC)*(100degC-T)

The m is what I'm solving for, what do I do about the T? I know its in equilibrium, but I don't know what it is. I can't solve for both.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"8 grams of water at 100 degrees C are poured into a cavity in a very large block of ice initially at 0 degrees C."

A "very large block of ice". That means that there is sufficient ice that some will still be frozen when equilibrium is reached. The equilibrium temperature is still 0 degrees C. Take T= 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?