What is the power input (in kW) needed to run the heat pump?

In summary, the heat pump is providing heat at a rate of 8.8 kW with a coefficient of performance of 5.6 while the outside temperature is -6.0 C. To run the heat pump, a power input of 1.57 kW is needed. If the heat pump were ideal, a power input of 7.94 kW would be needed to provide the same amount of heating inside the house.
spazmsfreak
1. A heat pump is being used to keep the temperature inside a house at 23 C, while the tmeperature ouside is -6.0 C. The heat pump is providing heat inot the house at the rate of 8.8 kW with a coefficient of performance of 5.6.
A) What power input (in KW) is needed to run the heat pump?
B) What power input (in KW) would be needed if the heat pump were ideal and still providing 8.8 kW heating power inside the house?

Homework Equations

coefficient of performance = (QsubscriptH)/Work
For ideal heat pump:
(QsubscriptC)/(QsubscriptH)=(Temperature subcript C)/(Temperature subscript H)

W=(QsubscriptH)-(QsubscriptC)

The Attempt at a Solution

convert Temperatures to Kelvin
A) coefficient of performance = (QsubscriptH)/Work
5.6=8.8 kW/W
W=1.57 kW

Would power input be work? or would you use the power equation?

B) (QsubscriptC)/(QsubscriptH)=(Temperature subcript C)/(Temperature subscript H)
(QsubscriptC)/8.8 kW=267 K/246 K
(QsubscriptC)=7.94 kW

W=(QsubscriptH)-(QsubscriptC)
=8.8 kW -7.94 kW
=.86 kW
Are my calculations correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
A) is right. But in B, you are not converting the temperatures correctly. 23 C = 296 K and -0.6 C = 272.4 K.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
A) is right. But in B, you are not converting the temperatures correctly. 23 C = 296 K and -0.6 C = 272.4 K.

AM

It should be -6.0 not -0.6. But anyways thanks so much!

1. What is a heat pump power input problem?

A heat pump power input problem refers to a situation where the heat pump is consuming more electricity than it should to function properly. This can be caused by a variety of factors including incorrect installation, faulty components, or inadequate insulation.

2. How do I know if I have a heat pump power input problem?

One way to determine if you have a heat pump power input problem is by monitoring your electricity bills. A sudden increase in energy consumption could indicate an issue with your heat pump. Additionally, if your heat pump is constantly running or not producing enough heat, it could also be a sign of a power input problem.

3. Can I fix a heat pump power input problem on my own?

It is not recommended to try and fix a heat pump power input problem on your own, especially if you are not familiar with HVAC systems. It is best to contact a professional technician who can properly diagnose and fix the issue.

4. How can I prevent a heat pump power input problem?

Regular maintenance and proper installation are key to preventing heat pump power input problems. Make sure to schedule annual maintenance checks with a certified technician and ensure that your heat pump is installed correctly by a professional.

5. Will a heat pump power input problem affect the performance of my heat pump?

Yes, a heat pump power input problem can significantly impact the performance and efficiency of your heat pump. If left unresolved, it can lead to higher electricity bills and potentially cause damage to the system. It is important to address any power input issues as soon as possible to maintain optimal performance of your heat pump.