Solving Heat Pump Problem: 1/W = 1/(1-5/20)

In summary, the problem is asking how much work per joule leakage is required to maintain a house at 20 degrees Celsius when the temperature underground is 5 degrees Celsius. The formula provided is Q/W = 1/(1-(Tc/Th)) where Tc is the underground temperature and Th is the desired temperature. After assuming Q = 1 Joule and plugging in the values, the answer obtained was 4/3 Joules. However, this is incorrect as the formula requires the use of absolute temperatures in Kelvin. After correcting this, the correct answer of 0.05 Joules was obtained.
phoenix133231

Homework Statement

If the temperature underground is 5 degrees Celsius and you'd like to keep the house at 20 degrees Celsius, how much work per joule leakage must be done to maintain the house at that temperature?

Homework Equations

Q/W = 1/(1-(Tc/Th))

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this may be wrong... but since I needed to know the work "per joule" leakage, I assumed that Q = 1 Joule. Then, I plugged in the terms into the formula provided and ended up with the following:

1/W = 1/(1-5/20)

which gave me W = 4/3 Joules. I checked the back of the book and the answer ended up being 0.05 Joules.

Could someone please provide me some understanding to this problem, as well as a hint on how to start? Is the formula provided even useful?

Physics news on Phys.org
phoenix133231 said:

Homework Statement

If the temperature underground is 5 degrees Celsius and you'd like to keep the house at 20 degrees Celsius, how much work per joule leakage must be done to maintain the house at that temperature?

Homework Equations

Q/W = 1/(1-(Tc/Th))

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this may be wrong... but since I needed to know the work "per joule" leakage, I assumed that Q = 1 Joule. Then, I plugged in the terms into the formula provided and ended up with the following:

1/W = 1/(1-5/20)

which gave me W = 4/3 Joules. I checked the back of the book and the answer ended up being 0.05 Joules.

Could someone please provide me some understanding to this problem, as well as a hint on how to start? Is the formula provided even useful?

Consider if you need to use absolute temperatures - degK.

ice

LOL. I'm such a noob. That was exactly the problem. Thanks a lot!

1. What is the formula for solving heat pump problems?

The formula for solving heat pump problems is 1/W = 1/(1-5/20), where W is the work done by the heat pump.

2. How do I determine the work done by a heat pump?

The work done by a heat pump can be determined by using the formula 1/W = 1/(1-5/20), where W is the work done.

3. What does the number 20 represent in the formula 1/W = 1/(1-5/20)?

The number 20 represents the total efficiency of the heat pump, which is the difference between the input energy and the output energy.

4. How do I solve for the efficiency of the heat pump using this formula?

To solve for the efficiency of the heat pump, you can rearrange the formula to W = (1-5/20)/(1/W), and then solve for W using the known values for input and output energy.

5. Can this formula be used to solve all heat pump problems?

No, this formula is specifically for solving problems related to the work done by a heat pump. Other factors, such as temperature differentials and heat transfer rates, may also need to be considered in solving other heat pump problems.