1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat pump question

1. Jun 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The electrical energy supplied to a heater can be turned with 100% efficiency into thermal energy (room heating).Assume you use a heat pump with a COP of 4 instead to reach the same temperature
    increase in the room.How much electrical energy will you save ?

2. Relevant equations
    COP(heating)=Qh/W=Qc+W/W;

3. The attempt at a solution
    Firstly i thought about getting the percentage of energy used which is equal to the work and then getting the percentage of energy saved by subtraction (100%-%ofUsedEnergy).

since temperature is constant then Qh is constant(am i correct?)
    W=1/4 Qh (i guess something is wrong here)
    ∴the percentage of energy used=100*1/4=25%

∴the percentage of energy saved=75%

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why?
    Your conclusion is correct. (That's why I run a heat pump myself! Unfortunately, if Tc drops too far then the Carnot efficiency drops: Qh/W = Th/(Th - Tc) so for the same Th the colder Tc the lower the COP. Of course, refrigerators in general do not use a Carnot cycle. Part of the cycle is via a throttling process {"expansion valve"} which is an irreversible part of the refrigeration cycle.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted