Heat and final temperature question

In summary, the problem is set up incorrectly and needs to be solved like so: (100g) (1.0 cal/g C) (Tf-25 degrees) + (75g) (1.0 cal/g C) (40 degrees - Tf) = 0.
kitkat
I am stuck on this problem...
What would be the final temperature when 100 g of 25 degree C water is mixed with 75 g of 40 degree C water?

I know that mc?T gained = mc? T lost
so (100g) (1.0 cal/g C) (Tf -25) = (75g) (1.0 cal/g C)(40 degrees - Tf)

Where do I go from here?
any push in the right direction would be great.

Kat

Physics news on Phys.org
100g/75g = 4/3 = (40 - Tf)/(Tf - 25).
If I push you for such a small thing you will fall down dear kid.
Generally take this as a formula when same object of different amounts at different temperatures are kept in contact with each other and the temperature of equilibrium temperature is asked - M1/M2 = dT1/dT2.

Anyway do you really need a push to solve the above equation?

i guess so

I guess I need to be hit in the head with a hammer cause I just can't "see" it.
My teacher gave me the following formula
(100g) (1.0 cal/g C) (Tf -25) = (75g) (1.0 cal/g C)(40 degrees - Tf)

and I just can't see first what the heck Tf stands for, where the 1.0 cal came from an how to solve it at all. I get to this point and then falter.

With regards to [itex]T_f[/itex] think about it logically. Go through each parameter in your equation. [itex]T_f[/itex] is the only unresolved variable and therefore must be the thing you are trying to calculate.

As for the 1 cal/g C, this is the specific heat capacity of water. It is usually given in the question or on a data sheet.

It was set up wrong!

I figured it out!
The problem should be set up like so:
(100g) (1.0 cal/g Co ) (Tf- 25 degrees) + (75g) (1.0 cal/g Co) (40 degrees - Tf) = 0
Resulting in this:

100Tf – 2500 + 75Tf – 3000 = 0
175Tf = 2500 + 3000
175Tf = 5500
175Tf/175 = 5500/175
Tf = 31.4

I knew something was missing! Yea! I'm not dumb! Thanks to those who tried to help.
Kat

What is heat?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. It is measured in Joules (J) in the SI unit system.

How is heat transferred?

Heat can be transferred through three processes: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

What factors affect the final temperature when two objects with different temperatures are brought in contact?

The final temperature of two objects in contact depends on their initial temperatures, their masses, and their specific heat capacities. The specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree Celsius.

How does the mass of an object affect its final temperature?

The mass of an object affects its final temperature because it determines how much heat energy is required to raise its temperature. The larger the mass, the more heat energy is needed to raise its temperature.

What is the specific heat capacity of a substance?

The specific heat capacity of a substance is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of the substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is a physical property of a substance and differs for different materials.