1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat question

1. Oct 18, 2006 #1
    A 4.00kg block of ice is removed from a freezer where its temperature was maintained at -20C. Find the heat that the ice must absorb in order to warm up to its melting point, melt, and then the water warms up to 10.0 degrees. The specific heat capacity of ice = 2000J/kg-degrees C, the specific heat of water is 4180 J/kg-degrees C and the latent heat of fusion for ice is 335000 J/kg.

I don't even know where to start.
    Something with this: Q = Cm(delta T)
    DeltaT = 30 degrees C

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2006 #2
    you need a 3 energies -

one to heat the ice
    one to melt the ice
    one to heat the water

th first and third are calculated the way you state (but with different speicifc heats, since they are different for water and ice)
    the second is calculated by mass * specific heat capacity

4. Oct 18, 2006 #3
    Ok, that clarifies a few things then. Thanks for the help Stunner. Though I'm not exactly sure what "latent heat of fusion" means, I think it applies to the mass equation..

5. Oct 18, 2006 #4
    Ok, that clarifies a few things then. Thanks for the help Stunner. Though I'm not exactly sure what "latent heat of fusion" means, I think it applies to the mass equation..

6. Oct 18, 2006 #5

7. Oct 19, 2006 #6
    latent heat of fusion is the amount of energy required per kilogram to melt the ice

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?