1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat question

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1
    You place 1.0 kg of ice ( at 0 deg c) in a pot and heat t until the ice melts and the water boils off, making steam. How much heat must you apply to achieve this?

Also, a printing plate of 20 kg is made of lead. After casting, the solid lead cools to 90 deg c . It is then dropped into a 200 l tank of water initially at 25 deg c. What is the final equilibrium temp?

I just don't even know how to start these problems, but I'm sure it's easy. Please help cause I don know what to do!!!

Equations:
    Q=mcT

Is what I think you need.

Thanks!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2012 #2
    Hi calculusisrad,
    Problem #1:
    You have two transitions here if you like. Ice to water, and water to steam. Therefore you will have to consider multiple energies to break the bonds and also raise the temperature of the ice/water (latent heat/sensible heat).

Problem #2:
    Here, the energies (Q=mcΔt) for the plate and tank of water are equal.

Hope this helps.

4. Feb 2, 2012 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Search:
    latent heat of melting
    latent heat of vaporization
    table of specific heats

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook