1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat radiated

1. Mar 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spherical body of area A and emissivity 0.6 is kept inside a perfectly black body. Total heat radiated by the body at temperature T is
    (A) 0.4σAT4
    (B) 0.8σAT4
    (C) 0.6σAT4
    (D) 1.0σAT4
    2. Relevant equations
    Stefan-Boltzmann's Law: P = AεσT4

3. The attempt at a solution
    If it wasn't inside the black body, the answer would be (C). But it is inside one and I don't know what to do about it. Wouldn't the black body just absorb all the power radiated? We also don't know what temperature the black body is. And the question asks for total heat radiated, not power which is confusing because the answers will have dimensions of power, unless they've just omitted saying total heat per second. Honestly, I've always been a bit confused with emissivity and absorptivity. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm as puzzled by the question as you are. Yes, clearly they mean rate of heat emission. I do not interpret total heat as net heat, so do not see how the black body affects it. Maybe that is the point of the question, that it is not affected. If it means the net heat then indeed you would need to know the temperature of the black body.

4. Mar 27, 2016 #3
    The answer is D, if it helps. Otherwise, it seems like a pretty weird question, so I guess I'll skip it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted