Understanding the Concept of Heat Supply to a System: Explained in My Book

In summary: Heat is energy in transit due to temperature difference, and when heat is transferred to a system, the internal energy of the system increases.
Rahulx084
My book states that
Heat and work represent energy in transit. The state of the system undergoes a change after heat is supplied to it and before work is extracted from it because energy gets stored in it.
My doubt is here that ,heat has been transferred to the system and it says heat is energy in transit and can't be stored but then it says system undergoes change cause energy is stored in it . This makes me confused. Please someone make me understand the concept behind this ,I know I have a big misconception .

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rahulx084 said:
My book states that
Heat and work represent energy in transit. The state of the system undergoes a change after heat is supplied to it and before work is extracted from it because energy gets stored in it.
My doubt is here that ,heat has been transferred to the system and it says heat is energy in transit and can't be stored but then it says system undergoes change cause energy is stored in it . This makes me confused. Please someone make me understand the concept behind this ,I know I have a big misconception .
Take capicitors as example, electricty is energy and it can't be stored, but when we charge a capicitor, it can "store" the energy by gathering the electrons on both sides of it's pannel to one side using electricity, which creates a charge.Now this system changed it's state from a lower energy level(electrons on both panels) to a higher energy level(electrons on one side of the panel).The process is inversed when releasing the charge by touch both ends of the capicitor, now this charge is converted back to energy(which can't be stored)which will immediately be used up or converted again into another type of energy,depending what circuit you connect the capicitor to, this may result to
  • heat, if it's connected to a short circuit
  • light, if connected of a led
  • kinetic energy, if connected to a motor
Hope this solved your problem.

Rahulx084 said:
My book states that

I think your book is a bit sloppy with use of the word heat. It should have said Work and the flow of heat represent energy in transit.

Rahulx084 said:
My book states that
You are aware of the difference between heat, work, and internal energy, correct? In the example you cite, heat is transferred to the system, and, as a result, the internal energy of the system increases.

Chestermiller said:
You are aware of the difference between heat, work, and internal energy, correct? In the example you cite, heat is transferred to the system, and, as a result, the internal energy of the system increases.
My understanding of heat ,work amd internal energy are:
Heat is a form of energy in transit due to temperature difference
Work is said to be done when a force acts to displace a body in the direction of force
Internal energy is the energy due to the molecules of the system

Rahulx084 said:
My understanding of heat ,work amd internal energy are:
Heat is a form of energy in transit due to temperature difference
Work is said to be done when a force acts to displace a body in the direction of force
Internal energy is the energy due to the molecules of the system
Then what is your problem?

Chestermiller said:
Then what is your problem?
The statement of the book that I asked

Rahulx084 said:
The statement of the book that I asked
What do the works "In the example you cite, heat is transferred to the system, and, as a result, the internal energy of the system increases." from my previous post mean to you?

Chestermiller said:
What do the works "In the example you cite, heat is transferred to the system, and, as a result, the internal energy of the system increases." from my previous post mean to you?
Some kind of mechanical work I guess , like moving a piston in a cylinder.

Rahulx084 said:
Some kind of mechanical work I guess , like moving a piston in a cylinder.
I have no idea how you could interpret it that way. It means that the heat transferred to the system causes the internal energy of the system to increase.

What is heat supply?

Heat supply refers to the transfer of thermal energy from a hotter object or system to a cooler one. It can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

Why is heat supply important?

Heat supply is important because it helps to regulate the temperature of a system. It also plays a crucial role in various physical and chemical processes, such as melting, boiling, and chemical reactions.

How is heat supply measured?

The unit of measurement for heat supply is joules (J). It can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the substance by its specific heat capacity and the change in temperature.

What factors affect heat supply to a system?

The amount of heat supply to a system is influenced by a variety of factors, including the temperature difference between the objects, the thermal conductivity of the materials, and the surface area of contact.

What are some ways to increase heat supply to a system?

One way to increase heat supply to a system is by increasing the temperature difference between the objects. Another way is to increase the thermal conductivity of the materials or increase the surface area of contact between the objects.