1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat transfer and temperature

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    Two bodies of masses m1 and m2 and specific heat capacities s1and s2 are connected by a rod of lenght L crossectional area A,thermal conductivty K and negligible heat capacity.The whole system is thermally insulated.At time t=0 the temperature of the first body is T1and the temperature of second body is T2(T2>T1).Find the temp. difference betw. 2 bodies at time t.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

What relevant equations did you learn? What attempt did you make at solving this question?
  4. Feb 26, 2010 #3
    well actually i m not able to move an inch in it....

can u plz give me some solid hint so that i can proceed..
  5. Feb 27, 2010 #4
    plz help...giv some hint ...how shud i proceed
  6. Feb 27, 2010 #5
    why no one is replying....atleast give some hint how to do it..so that i may proceed....
  7. Feb 27, 2010 #6

Homework Helper

The rate of heat transfer, given by H=kA*delta-T/delta-x, is equal to mc*dT/dt for both objects connected by the rod, only one rod's temperature goes down while the other's goes up. Depending on whether your class is calculus-based, you can either calculate the power transferred in time t and set it equal to mc*delta-T for both objects, or you can use calculus to get a more accurate solution.
  8. Feb 27, 2010 #7
    actually i did lik this(see the attachment)

firstly is it correct

secondly wen i tried integrating it its not giving the ans.

Attached Files:

• a.JPG
      File size:
      14.1 KB
  9. Feb 27, 2010 #8
    plz help
  10. Feb 27, 2010 #9
    plz help...i m in dire need

im getting ans as (T2-T1)e(1-f)t

wer f=KA(m1s1+m2s2)/(L(m1s1m2s2))

wer as ans is (T2-T1)e-ft

wer f=KA(m1s1+m2s2)/(L(m1s1m2s2))
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook