Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Heat transfer and temperature

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    Two bodies of masses m1 and m2 and specific heat capacities s1and s2 are connected by a rod of lenght L crossectional area A,thermal conductivty K and negligible heat capacity.The whole system is thermally insulated.At time t=0 the temperature of the first body is T1and the temperature of second body is T2(T2>T1).Find the temp. difference betw. 2 bodies at time t.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

What relevant equations did you learn? What attempt did you make at solving this question?

4. Feb 26, 2010 #3
    well actually i m not able to move an inch in it....

can u plz give me some solid hint so that i can proceed..

5. Feb 27, 2010 #4
    plz help...giv some hint ...how shud i proceed

6. Feb 27, 2010 #5
    why no one is replying....atleast give some hint how to do it..so that i may proceed....

7. Feb 27, 2010 #6

ideasrule

Homework Helper

The rate of heat transfer, given by H=kA*delta-T/delta-x, is equal to mc*dT/dt for both objects connected by the rod, only one rod's temperature goes down while the other's goes up. Depending on whether your class is calculus-based, you can either calculate the power transferred in time t and set it equal to mc*delta-T for both objects, or you can use calculus to get a more accurate solution.

8. Feb 27, 2010 #7
    actually i did lik this(see the attachment)

firstly is it correct

secondly wen i tried integrating it its not giving the ans.

Attached Files:

• a.JPG
      a.JPG
      File size:
      14.1 KB
      Views:
  9. Feb 27, 2010 #8
    plz help

10. Feb 27, 2010 #9
    plz help...i m in dire need

im getting ans as (T2-T1)e(1-f)t

wer f=KA(m1s1+m2s2)/(L(m1s1m2s2))

wer as ans is (T2-T1)e-ft

wer f=KA(m1s1+m2s2)/(L(m1s1m2s2))

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook