1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat transfer between 2 window

1. Sep 8, 2012 #1
    I'm designing a vertical farm prototype and I'm trying to do some preliminary calculations to get an idea of how hot my crops are going to get. The basic design consists of a low-e glass (SHGC=.39) in the front and an aerogel panel in back(see attached diagram). I'm calculating for the hottest scenario, south facing glass at noon in July. The design is in Boulder Colorado (Lat~40N) and from what I can tell from tables, I can expect .1233 kWh/(m^2*h) to be gained through the low-e glass during the hottest part of the day. What I'm not sure how to calculate, is how much heat I can expect to loose through the aerogel panel in the back.

Does any one know of a way to approximate this, or have a link to a site that can point me in the right direction? Can I just treat the aerogel panels like any other insulating material or do I need a SHGC for it? Don't need a high order of accuracy, just trying to approximate max and min temperatures for my cavity.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted