Heat Transfer Calc for Oil Tank in Formula Student Car

In summary: The reason why I want to measure the heat loss out of the oil pan is because I am trying to find out how much heat is being lost from the oil tank. I am also interested in calculating the inlet and exit temperature of the lubricating oil.
beckspp
Hi Guys,
This is for my university project.I need to design a oil tank for the formula student car.The first stage is the analysis of the existing stock oil tank (Aprilia SXV 550 is the engine).I need to find out the heat lost/transferred from the of the existing oil tank.How can I calculate the inlet and exit temperature of the Lubricating oil(passing through the tank).
I need to do the corresponding heat loss calculations happening through the oil tank.
I will be considering all the modes of heat transfer
Conduction,Convection and Radiation.
Please tell me How can I justify that a particular value of heat is lost from the oil tank with the help of calculations.And what formulas of heat transfer should i use (Fourier's,Newton's Law of cooling ...?)
What is the suitable FEA package that can be used for justifying my results...?

Engineering news on Phys.org

You're going to need to know what the temperature and flow rate of the oil is coming into the oil pan, or maybe an average tempertuare of oil in the pan. Then, given a flow of air over the pan you can calculate the convective coeffcient and the heat loss through convection.

My guess is you'll be able to ignore radiation heat loss in this case.

hello
you said student Formula car...if this is right...you have big task ahead of you..can you post photos of engine and the FC

Mech_Engineer said:
You're going to need to know what the temperature and flow rate of the oil is coming into the oil pan, or maybe an average tempertuare of oil in the pan. Then, given a flow of air over the pan you can calculate the convective coeffcient and the heat loss through convection.

My guess is you'll be able to ignore radiation heat loss in this case.
Thank you Mech_Engineer...
How should I measure these values..Any Ideas or suggestions...?
It will be helpful for me.

Well, you could start with the obvious- an http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-3348-M/ ...

Why do you care about the heat flow out of an oil pan though, why not use an oil cooler?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does heat transfer affect performance in a Formula Student car?

Heat transfer plays a crucial role in the performance of a Formula Student car. Excessive heat can lead to engine failure, while insufficient heat can cause the engine to run inefficiently. It is important to accurately calculate heat transfer in order to optimize the car's performance.

2. What are the factors that affect heat transfer in an oil tank?

The main factors that affect heat transfer in an oil tank are the temperature difference between the oil and the surrounding environment, the surface area of the tank, and the thermal conductivity of the tank material. Other factors such as insulation and air flow can also impact heat transfer.

3. How is heat transfer calculated in an oil tank?

Heat transfer in an oil tank can be calculated using the formula Q = U x A x ΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, U is the overall heat transfer coefficient, A is the surface area of the tank, and ΔT is the temperature difference between the oil and the surrounding environment.

4. What are some common methods to improve heat transfer in an oil tank?

Some common methods to improve heat transfer in an oil tank include using materials with higher thermal conductivity, increasing the surface area of the tank, and improving insulation to reduce heat loss. Additionally, designing efficient air flow systems can also help to improve heat transfer.

5. How can heat transfer calculations help in the design of a Formula Student car?

Accurate heat transfer calculations are essential in the design of a Formula Student car as they can help to optimize the car's performance and prevent engine failure. By accurately determining the heat transfer rate, engineers can make informed decisions about the design and materials used in the car's oil tank, ultimately leading to a more efficient and reliable vehicle.