What factors affect the heat transfer coefficient?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between heat transfer coefficients and different materials exposed to convective heat transfer with surrounding air. It is determined by the resistance on the air side of the interface, but there may also be additional resistance on the "inside the cylinder" side that needs to be taken into account. This can significantly affect the overall heat transfer coefficient.
theBEAST
1. Homework Statement and the attempt at the solution

Alright, here is a picture of the problem along with my solution:
qg8BOw5.jpg

My solutions gives the correct answer but the only part I don't understand is why the heat transfer coefficients are the same. If the two rods are made of different materials don't you have a different coefficient? Or is coefficient independent of the material... If so, what does it depend on? Shape?

Physics news on Phys.org
theBEAST said:
1. Homework Statement and the attempt at the solution

Alright, here is a picture of the problem along with my solution:
qg8BOw5.jpg

My solutions gives the correct answer but the only part I don't understand is why the heat transfer coefficients are the same. If the two rods are made of different materials don't you have a different coefficient? Or is coefficient independent of the material... If so, what does it depend on? Shape?
The resistance to heat transfer is going to be dominated by the resistance on the air side of the interface. So the heat transfer coefficient is going to be essentially the heat transfer coefficient on the air side. With this situation, then yes, the overall heat transfer coefficient is virtually independent of the rod material. For forced air convection over the fins, it is determined by the cross flow reynolds number and prandtl number of the air.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The resistance to heat transfer is going to be dominated by the resistance on the air side of the interface. So the heat transfer coefficient is going to be essentially the heat transfer coefficient on the air side. With this situation, then yes, the overall heat transfer coefficient is virtually independent of the rod material. For forced air convection over the fins, it is determined by the cross flow reynolds number and prandtl number of the air.

Chet

In what case would it be different then? When the fluids are different? So whenever there are different materials exposed to convective heat transfer with the surrounding air can we use the same heat transfer coefficients all the time?

theBEAST said:
In what case would it be different then? When the fluids are different? So whenever there are different materials exposed to convective heat transfer with the surrounding air can we use the same heat transfer coefficients all the time?
You can use the same heat transfer coefficient on the air side, but there may also be some heat transfer resistance that needs to be taken into account on the "inside the cylinder" side. For example, if you have a tube with liquid or gas flowing through it, rather than a metal rod, you will need to consider the resistance on the tube side of the interface, particularly in the case of a gas. You can have a heat transfer coefficient on the tube side that can be of the same order as on the air side. So the overall heat transfer coefficient will be substantially lower than on either side.

I can provide a response to your question about heat transfer coefficients. The heat transfer coefficient is a measure of how easily heat can transfer through a material. It is independent of the material itself, but it does depend on other factors such as the shape and surface area of the material. In this case, since the two rods have the same shape and surface area, the heat transfer coefficient is the same for both of them. However, if the shape or surface area were different, the heat transfer coefficient would also be different. Additionally, the heat transfer coefficient can also be affected by other factors such as temperature, pressure, and fluid flow. I hope this helps to clarify the concept of heat transfer coefficients for you.

What is heat transfer coefficient?

Heat transfer coefficient is a measure of the rate at which heat transfers from one substance to another. It is defined as the amount of heat that is transferred per unit area, per unit time, per unit temperature difference.

How is heat transfer coefficient calculated?

The heat transfer coefficient is calculated by dividing the heat transfer rate by the product of the surface area and the temperature difference between the two substances involved.

What factors affect the heat transfer coefficient?

The heat transfer coefficient is affected by several factors, including the properties of the substances involved, the surface area of contact between the substances, the temperature difference between the substances, and the presence of any insulating materials.

What units is heat transfer coefficient measured in?

The SI unit for heat transfer coefficient is watts per square meter per Kelvin (W/m²K). In some cases, it may also be expressed in watts per square meter per degree Celsius (W/m²°C).

Why is heat transfer coefficient important in engineering and science?

The heat transfer coefficient is an essential concept in engineering and science because it helps us understand and design systems that involve heat transfer. It is used in various applications, such as designing heating and cooling systems, calculating energy efficiency, and determining the rate of heat transfer in various processes.