Heat Transfer in Composting Pile

In summary, the conversation discusses a one dimensional system in the vertical direction, specifically a 2 meter high composting pile with a wind temperature of 40 degrees Celsius and a ground temperature of 20 degrees Celsius. The pile has a volumetric biochemical heat generation of 7 W/m3 and a thermal conductivity of 0.1 W/m*K. The conversation also includes a discussion on setting up the governing equation and boundary conditions, determining the temperature as a function of height from the ground, calculating the maximum temperature in the pile, and calculating the top surface temperature of the pile. There is a discrepancy in the value of C1, which is used to solve for the maximum temperature in the pile, but it is determined to be a typo
edge333

Homework Statement

One dimensional system in vertical direction
2 meter high composting pile @ 65 [tex]\circ[/tex]C
Top of pile has wind @ 40 [tex]\circ[/tex]C and h = 50 W/m2*K
Bottom of pile at ground temperature of 20 [tex]\circ[/tex]C
Only conductive heat transfer WITHIN pile; no convection
Volumetric biochemical heat generation, Q = 7 W/m3
Compost has k = 0.1 W/m*K

a.) Setup the governing equation and boundary conditions
b.) Determine the temperature as a function of height from the ground
c.) Calculate the maximum temperature in the pile
d.) Calculate the top surface temperature of the pile

Homework Equations

General equation:​
[tex]\rho c_{p}\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} + \rho c_{p}\frac{\partial}{\partial x} ( uT ) = k ( \frac{\partial^{2}T}{\partial x^{2}} ) + Q[/tex]​

Fourier's Law​
[tex]q_{x} = -k \frac{dT}{dx}[/tex]​

Newton's Law of Cooling​
[tex]q_{x} = h ( T_{s} - T_{\infty} )[/tex]​

The Attempt at a Solution

a.)
There is no storage and no convection within the pile, so the general equation reduces to:

[tex]\frac{d^{2}T}{dx^{2}} = -\frac{Q}{k} [/tex]​

Boundary conditions:​
At x = 0, T = 20 [tex]\circ[/tex]C​
[tex] At \ x = L, -k \frac{dT}{dx} = h( T_{s} - T_{\infty} )[/tex]​
Heat flux at the top surface due to conduction is equal to heat flux at the top surface due to wind convection​

b.)
Integrating once and using the second boundary condition gives:

[tex]\frac{dT}{dx} = - \frac{Q}{k} ( x + C_{1} ) [/tex]

[tex]C_{1}=\frac{h( T_{s} - T_{\infty})}{Q}-L [/tex]​

[tex]C_{1}=\frac{(50 \ W/m^{2} \cdot K)(40^{\circ} C - 65^{\circ} C)}{(7 \ W/m^{3})}-(2 \ m)[/tex]​

[tex]C_{1}=-177 \ m[/tex]​

From what my professor said, this value for C(1) is incorrect (even the units). Haven't gotten to parts c.) and d.) yet. So I just need some using the boundary condition to find the first constant of integration.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it possible your professor has defined [itex]C_1[/itex] as

[tex]\frac{dT}{dx}=-\frac{Q}{k}x+C_1[/tex]

I would that's the more typical way to do the integration, though your way is fine too.

Yeah, that is the way some of my peers have done it (edit: tried to do it). However, the answer he gave us was 80.06 W/K which I can't figure out. Our my temperatures correct?

Last edited:
edge333 said:
Yeah, that is the way some of my peers have done it. However, the answer he gave us was 80.06 W/K which I can't figure out. Our my temperatures correct?

Sorry, the answer for what? [itex]C_1[/itex]? [itex]C_1[/itex] can be defined multiple ways, so a number alone doesn't have any meaning without the definition.

I realize that C1 can be defined multiple ways but the units are in W/k. I have a feeling he made a typo on the units though because the value for C1 works numerically for the following equation in order to determine the maximum temperature in part c.), however, the units don't make sense:

[tex]T=-\frac{Q}{k}\frac{x^{2}}{2}+C_{1}x+C_{2}[/tex]

where C2 = 20 degrees C found by using the first boundary condition.

Max Temperature:​
[tex]T_{max}, \ \frac{dT}{dx}=0[/tex]​

[tex]0=-\frac{Q}{k}x+80.06[/tex]​

[tex]x=1.14 \ m[/tex]​

This answer, x, for Tmaxis another answer he gave us as being correct.

It seems to me that C1 should be in Kelvin per meter not watts per Kelvin[/INDENT][/INDENT] Then again that could just be a typo although I still cannot figure out how to solve for C1 regardless of method to find the correct solution.

1. How does heat transfer occur in a composting pile?

Heat transfer in a composting pile occurs through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between materials, such as when the hot outer layer of the pile transfers heat to the cooler inner layers. Convection involves the movement of air or water, which carries heat with it, and can be increased by turning or aerating the pile. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves, such as from the sun or a heat source near the pile.

2. What factors affect heat transfer in a composting pile?

The rate of heat transfer in a composting pile can be affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the pile, the type and amount of materials in the pile, moisture content, oxygen availability, and ambient temperature. A larger pile will have less surface area for heat to escape, while a smaller pile will have a higher surface-to-volume ratio and may lose heat faster. Materials with a high density or thermal conductivity can transfer heat more quickly, while dry or compacted materials may hinder heat transfer. Adequate moisture and oxygen are also important for the microorganisms responsible for decomposition and heat production.

3. How does heat impact the composting process?

Heat is a critical factor in the composting process, as it drives the activity of microorganisms that break down organic material. As the pile heats up, microorganisms become more active, leading to faster decomposition and nutrient release. The ideal temperature range for a composting pile is between 130-160 degrees Fahrenheit, as this is the optimal range for most composting microorganisms. However, too much heat can also be detrimental, as it can kill off these beneficial microorganisms and slow down the composting process.

4. Can heat transfer be controlled in a composting pile?

Yes, heat transfer can be controlled in a composting pile through various methods. One way is by managing the size and shape of the pile, as a larger, more compact pile will retain heat better than a smaller, flatter pile. Turning or aerating the pile can also increase air flow and heat transfer. Adding materials with a high thermal conductivity, such as manure or coffee grounds, can also help to generate and retain heat in the pile. Additionally, monitoring and adjusting moisture and oxygen levels can also help regulate the temperature of the pile.

5. How can heat transfer in a composting pile be measured?

The temperature of a composting pile can be measured using a thermometer inserted into the center of the pile. This can provide a general indication of the heat being generated in the pile. However, for a more accurate measurement, a temperature probe or data logger can be used to continuously monitor the temperature at different depths within the pile. Other indicators of heat transfer in a compost pile include the presence of steam or condensation on the surface, and the rate of decomposition and nutrient release in the finished compost.