Heat transfer of stainless steel

In summary, the problem involves a stainless steel tube with a 2cm internal diameter and 4cm outer diameter, covered with a 3cm thick layer of insulation. The inside and outside wall temperatures are 600C and 100C, respectively. The thermal conductivity of the steel is 19W/m.K and the insulation is 0.2W/m.K. The goal is to determine the heat loss per metre length. After calculating the thermal resistances and using the formula Q/l=(T1-T2)/R, the answer was initially found to be 1086W/m, but upon realizing a mistake in the diagram, the correct answer was found to be 680W/m.
bill nye scienceguy!

Homework Statement

a thick walled tube of stainless steel, ks=19W/m.K, with a 2cm internal diameter and a 4cm outer diameter is covered with a 3cm thick layer of insulation. If the inside and outside wall temperatures are 600C and 100C respectively and the thermal conductivity of the insulation, ki= 0.2W/m.K, determine the heat loss per metre length.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i drew out my diagram of the pipe, with the 'hollow' section of radius 1cm, the radius to the outside of the pipe 2cm and the radius of the outside of the insulation at radius 3.5cm. I then set about working the thermal resistances of the different materials using R=ln(r2/r1)/2pikl which i found to be 0.01466/l for the steel pipe and 0.4599/l for the insulation.

i then tried to find the heat loss using Q/l=(T1-T2)/R where R is the total resistance of the composite. my answer of 1086W/m is almost twice the given answer of 680W/m.

where have i gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I looked again at the problem and id drawn my diagram of the pipe wrong so the ratios of the radii were wrong. I've solved the problem now so everyone can disregard this thread!

I would first check the calculations and equations used to ensure they are accurate. I would also consider any potential errors in measurement or assumptions made. It is also important to check the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation. Additionally, I would consider if any other factors, such as convection or radiation, may affect the heat loss and adjust the calculations accordingly. If the discrepancy cannot be explained, I would suggest repeating the calculation or seeking assistance from a colleague or mentor.

1. What is the thermal conductivity of stainless steel?

The thermal conductivity of stainless steel varies depending on the grade and composition, but it typically ranges from 14-19 W/mK. This is lower than other metals like copper and aluminum, but still relatively high compared to non-metals.

2. How does the thickness of stainless steel affect heat transfer?

The thicker the stainless steel, the lower its thermal conductivity and therefore the slower the rate of heat transfer. This is because thicker materials have a higher resistance to heat flow.

3. Can stainless steel be used for both heating and cooling applications?

Yes, stainless steel is a versatile material that can be used for both heating and cooling applications. Its high thermal conductivity allows for efficient heat transfer, making it suitable for a wide range of temperature control needs.

4. What are the factors that affect the heat transfer of stainless steel?

The main factors that affect the heat transfer of stainless steel include thermal conductivity, thickness, surface area, and temperature difference between the two sides of the material. Other factors like surface roughness and material purity can also have an impact.

5. How can the heat transfer of stainless steel be improved?

To improve the heat transfer of stainless steel, it is important to choose a grade with a higher thermal conductivity and to optimize the thickness and surface area for the specific application. Other methods, such as using fins or increasing the temperature difference, can also improve heat transfer. Proper maintenance and cleaning of the stainless steel can also help maintain its heat transfer efficiency.