1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat transfer problem-please help

1. Apr 23, 2009 #1
    Heat transfer problem--please help

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a heating mantle (180Watt) and i want to use it for heating a ceramics flask (thermal conductivity : 1.38 W/m*K), however, there is a stainless steel on top of the flask (at 10cm distance between the heating mantle and the stainless steel). The thermal conductivity of SS is 21.5 W/m*K. and i know the formula is

h = delta Q/ A* delta T* delta t

2. Relevant equations

If want to know what is the temperature on the stainless steel after it has been heated up for 1 hour, should i calculate the heat transfer between the heating mantle and the flask first? and then go along with the stainless stell or how?

3. The attempt at a solution

I know Q=(1/((1/h)+(t/k))*A*Delta T
    and Q = 180 W
    h = specific heat? how could i get this value?
    t = 3mm = 0.003m (thickness of the wall)
    k = 1.38 W/m*K (thermal conductivity of flask)
    A = area of the wall = 17cm*15cm = 255cm^2 = 0.0255m^2
    but i dont know what will be the temperature difference between them?

and i also confuse about how could i calculate the heat transfer with open system?

I just need to find what will be the temperature of the stainless steel above 10cm from the heating mantle...
    I am wondering that since ceramic is not a good heat conductor, plus the fact that it is an non-isolated system , so the heat would probably not going to be that hot, but still i need to get the approximation...i have put an image of the illustration..

any help will be appreciated..i am really lost at this one..thank you so much!!

Alex..

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?