1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat transfer problem

1. Nov 22, 2007 #1
    First off I would like to say that this is not a homework question. I am trying to calculate the temperature of a very thin piece of steel.

Assumptions

The underside of the metal is perfectly insulated
    To = 20C (initial temperature of material)
    Q"=3000W/m^2 (heat flux)
    K = 51.9W/m*K (thermal conductivity)
    C = .472 KJ/Kg*K ( specific heat)
    x = 1mm ( thickness of metal)
    t = 0.1s

What I need to know is how to calculate the final temperature at the surface.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2
    Am I right in thinking you are doing some laser heating here? if so you should look at
    the paper written by Bechtel "heating of solid targets with laser pulses" . Also check out the citations there are a lot of papers out there that solve this kind of problem

4. Apr 25, 2008 #3

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is a transient conduction problem that can be made much easier by assuming you only need to know the temperature about a second after the heat flux is turned off, not before. The reason is that the characteristic diffusion time through 1 mm of steel is about a tenth of a second:

[tex]t\approx\frac{h^2}{D}=\frac{h^2 c \rho}{k}\approx 0.1\,\mathrm{sec}[/tex]

where D is the thermal diffusivity and h is the thickness, and I've used your numbers. After about a second, the temperature will have become nearly uniform in the plate, and the temperature increase can be calculated by considering the amount of input energy: 300 J/m2.

[tex]\Delta T=\frac{E}{c\rho h}[/tex]

I get about a tenth of a degree Celsius for the temperature increase. Does this help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?