Calculate Final Temp of Thin Steel Piece: Heat Transfer Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the temperature of a thin piece of steel using various assumptions and parameters such as heat flux, thermal conductivity, specific heat, thickness, and time. The problem is identified as a transient conduction problem and it is suggested to refer to a paper on laser heating for solving it. It is also mentioned that after one second, the temperature will become nearly uniform and the temperature increase can be calculated using the amount of input energy.
JJ420
First off I would like to say that this is not a homework question. I am trying to calculate the temperature of a very thin piece of steel.

Assumptions

The underside of the metal is perfectly insulated
To = 20C (initial temperature of material)
Q"=3000W/m^2 (heat flux)
K = 51.9W/m*K (thermal conductivity)
C = .472 KJ/Kg*K ( specific heat)
x = 1mm ( thickness of metal)
t = 0.1s

What I need to know is how to calculate the final temperature at the surface.

Science news on Phys.org
Am I right in thinking you are doing some laser heating here? if so you should look at
the paper written by Bechtel "heating of solid targets with laser pulses" . Also check out the citations there are a lot of papers out there that solve this kind of problem

This is a transient conduction problem that can be made much easier by assuming you only need to know the temperature about a second after the heat flux is turned off, not before. The reason is that the characteristic diffusion time through 1 mm of steel is about a tenth of a second:

[tex]t\approx\frac{h^2}{D}=\frac{h^2 c \rho}{k}\approx 0.1\,\mathrm{sec}[/tex]

where D is the thermal diffusivity and h is the thickness, and I've used your numbers. After about a second, the temperature will have become nearly uniform in the plate, and the temperature increase can be calculated by considering the amount of input energy: 300 J/m2.

[tex]\Delta T=\frac{E}{c\rho h}[/tex]

I get about a tenth of a degree Celsius for the temperature increase. Does this help?

1. How do I calculate the final temperature of a thin steel piece in a heat transfer problem?

In order to calculate the final temperature of a thin steel piece in a heat transfer problem, you will need to use the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of heat transferred, m is the mass of the steel piece, c is the specific heat capacity of steel, and ΔT is the change in temperature. You will also need to consider any external sources of heat or cooling that may be affecting the steel piece.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of steel?

The specific heat capacity of steel varies depending on the type of steel, but on average it is around 0.45 J/g°C. However, it is important to note that this value can change depending on factors such as temperature and composition.

3. What are the units for specific heat capacity?

The units for specific heat capacity are J/g°C, which stands for joules per gram per degree Celsius. This unit represents the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree Celsius.

4. What is the difference between specific heat capacity and thermal conductivity?

Specific heat capacity and thermal conductivity are both properties of a material that relate to heat transfer, but they are not the same. Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance, while thermal conductivity is the ability of a material to conduct heat. In other words, specific heat capacity relates to the amount of heat absorbed, while thermal conductivity relates to how quickly the heat is transferred through a material.

5. Are there any other factors that could affect the final temperature of the steel piece in a heat transfer problem?

Yes, there are several other factors that could affect the final temperature of a steel piece in a heat transfer problem. These include the initial temperature of the steel, the surface area of the steel, and the type and intensity of the external heat source or cooling system. It is important to take all of these factors into consideration when calculating the final temperature.