1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Transfer Problem

1. Dec 26, 2013 #1
    Suppose you have a cylindrical rocket engine with surface temperature T and you want to measure temperature on the inner wall T0 of the combustion chamber (assume 1 dimensional heat transfer). The chamber has thickness d, and heat transfer coefficient k. If combustion is assumed to occur instantaneously, and the engine runs at steady state (constant chamber temperature) what is the inner wall temperature if the outer surface has temperature T after t seconds?

Some background: I have a rocket engine that I need to measure the inner wall temperature on using thermocouples affixed to various locations on the outer surface. The operation time was previously 6 seconds. I'm assuming steady state operation, and one dimensional heat transfer from the inner wall to the reference junction of the thermocouple. I just haven't taken heat transfer and don't know the relationship between outer temperature, inner temperature, wall thickness, heat transfer coefficient, and time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2013 #2
    This might not be a steady state heat transfer situation, since you are asking what is happening as a function of time. I'm guessing that it is a transient heat transfer situation. Let me see if I understand correctly. You are measuring the temperature on the outer surface as a function of time and trying to deduce what the temperature on the inside surface of the chamber was as a function of time. Correct?

4. Dec 27, 2013 #3
    That would be correct, yes the heat transfer would be transient... I am assuming that the combustion process is steady state, hence, constant inner wall temperature, with outer wall temperature a function of time.

5. Dec 27, 2013 #4
    So it still isn't clear what you are trying to determine. It's much easier to figure out what the inside temperature is if you have time to wait until the system reaches steady state. Then, all you need to know is the thermal conductivity of the metal and the outside heat transfer coefficient. On the other hand, what is the rationale for measuring the outside temperature vs time and using that to deduce the inside temperature? Your resolution is going to be very low at the beginning because it takes time for the temperature profile to propagate across the metal wall. I guess I just don't have a good idea of what you are trying to accomplish.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook