1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat transfer problem

1. Oct 20, 2005 #1
    How could I calculate how much time would be required to melt a plastic through a composite material?

Composite is .005 inches paper and .0003 inches of Aluminum
    Plastic is .001 inches polyethlene with melting point of 325 F

Assume heat source is uniform across area of composite

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to the Physics Forums Guidelines (which you agreed to), you have to show how you started this problem.

4. Oct 21, 2005 #3
    What I've done so far is research and realized my ability of working with differential calculus is lacking. But I do believe that the equations needed are:

dQ/dt = kTA dT/dx

1/kT=1/kPaper +1/ kAlu (so I can figure this out)

A = 2pi 4 inches (1/8 inches)

dQ/dt = the power supplied to the paper side which 1500 W – but I need to solve for dt (not sure how to re-arrange diff calc formula)

dT/dx = (350-73) F to 25 F (So heat source is set at 350 F and the melt point of plastic is 325 F)

I believe I need to consider the heat capacity of the plastic but I’m not sure where – should it be added to the (kT) formula?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?