1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat transfer Question

1. Mar 20, 2008 #1
    If I had a piece of steel 0.25" thick 1 meter wide and 1 meter long and it was at 100 deg C and it was immersed in a bath of zinc at 460 deg C how long would it take to heat the piece of steel to 460 deg C?

Would this be down the lines of Fourier's Law of conduction?

q= 42*1*(460-100)/0.0635?

FYI... I am a process engineer at a steel company and my son directed me to this sight for help
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi loopster, welcome to PF. A simple way to estimate the heating time is

where [itex]L[/itex] is the characteristic length and [itex]D[/itex] is the thermal diffusivity. I'd take half the thickness, 1/8", as the characteristic length because the zinc bath is on both sides. It looks like the thermal diffusivity of steel is about 10-5 m2/s = 0.0155 in2/s. This predicts the heating time to be about a second. Is this helpful?

Incropera & DeWitt's Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer is a great reference if you have to solve a lot of these types of problems.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?