1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat transfer question

1. Jul 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A copper calorimeter with mass 0.1 kg contains 0.15 kg of water and 0.012 kg of ice in their equilibrium at normal atmospheric pressure(0 degrees Celsius). If 0.5 kg of lead at 200 Celsius is dropped in calorimetr, what is the final temperature?( consider the close system so no temperature lost).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure if i have to consider the latent phase, so any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

There is some ice in the initial state of the calorimeter, so you will need to include a term for the latent heat of melting the 12 g. of ice.

Oh, and your equation is not going to be of any help to you like that. All the terms can't be equal! A standard way to set up a calorimetry equation is to put all the items that will be releasing heat on one side and the items which will be receiving heat on the other, with Qout = -Qin .
  4. Jul 7, 2008 #3
    Thank you dynamicsolo. Is it possible for you to tell me the number of ice latent heat of fusion?
  5. Jul 7, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

For you, certainly! It's 334 J/gm = 79.8 cal/gm for ice.

But keep in mind that Google is your friend (as they say on many forums). "Everything" is on the 'Net these days; for instance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_heat (see the table under 'Water')
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?