Heat Transfer: Finding T2 for a Cooled Stainless Steel Pipe

In summary: For the second, I think you are supposed to use Reynolds number to find out if it is turbulent, but then I think you would use the convective heat transfer coefficient h in place of "h" in the previous equation. I think. I don't know why your teacher would say that Re has to be so large, I would expect that it would have to be just above 4000. Maybe he's thinking of something else.Yeah, I tried the formula you gave me, but it didn't work out so well, the T2 was pretty much the same as T1...For the second question yeah, that's what I thought too, I'll just use the formula and see if it works
FChebli
1. The problem statement:

(a)Concider a stainless steel hollow pipe containing a saturated steam and has length L, cooled by convection & radiation. Find formula for T2.

(b) Another question "Not related to the previous one": How would I know if a gas has gone turbulent?

Homework Equations

:[/B]
For (a): Q = 2 Pai K (T1 - T2) / ln (r2 / r1)

For (b): Re = e u l / M ??

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B]

(a) Do I ignore the saturated steam, and re-write the equation (a) with respect to T2 only??

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, where does that equation come from? In my previous work with convection, granted it was through a course in partial differential equations, I never had a convective formula work out so nicely. What is r2 and r1, is k Boltzmann's constant? Why does the problem give you length L when it doesn't appear in your formula?

Same with the second equation you posted. I'm guessing that most people on this site, maybe mechanical engineers excluded, will not know what your equations are and that's why you haven't been helped.

The equation comes from Fourir's law for convection.
K is the thermal conductivity (kW/mK) r2 is the outer radius (m) & r1 is the inner radius (m)...
Sorry for the typing mistake: Q = 2 Pai K L (T1 - T2) / ln (r2 / r1)

The second equation is Reynold's Number.

Ah, okay, after a bit of research I see where the first equation comes from.

[tex]Q = 2k \pi L \frac{T_1-T_2}{ln(r_2/r_1)}[/tex]

Which is for conduction, not convection.

I suppose for your first question you are just supposed to rearrange the equation and solve for T2.

For the second question, use Reynold's number (are you using a pipe still?) too see if it is large. According to Wikipedia, 2100 < Re < 4000 is the general transition region for laminar to turbulent flow, so above 4000 and you should expect turbulent flow.

[tex]\mathrm{Re} = \frac{\rho V L}{\mu} = \frac{V L}{\nu} = \frac{Q L}{\nu A}[/tex]

So for the first question, do I ignore what it says about radiation & convection?

For the second it's a flat plate... I've just asked my instructor via e-mail & he said that Reynold's number has to be above 10^5 to expect turbulet flow.

I appreciate your help, thank you!

I don't know, the problem isn't very specific. You may actually want to use a simpler equation such as

[tex]Q = h A \Delta T[/tex]

where h is a convective heat transfer coefficient for air, A is the area of the pipe (2πrL) and T of course is temperature. I'm not really sure though without a better description of the problem, or the context of what your class has covered recently. Sorry, maybe someone else will know better.

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or system to another due to a temperature difference. It can occur through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation.

2. How does heat transfer affect everyday life?

Heat transfer plays a crucial role in everyday life. It is responsible for regulating the temperature of our bodies, cooking food, and maintaining the temperature of our homes and buildings. It also plays a significant role in industrial processes such as power generation and transportation.

3. What are the different methods of heat transfer?

There are three main methods of heat transfer: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through a solid object or material. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

4. What factors affect heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer depends on several factors, including the temperature difference between the objects, the thermal conductivity of the material, the surface area and thickness of the material, and the presence of any insulating materials. The type of heat transfer also plays a role, as some methods are more efficient than others.

5. How can heat transfer be controlled or manipulated?

Heat transfer can be controlled by changing the temperature difference between objects, using insulating materials to reduce heat flow, or by using materials with high or low thermal conductivity. It can also be manipulated by altering the surface area or thickness of the material, or by using techniques such as heat exchangers or thermal insulation.