Heat Transfer through a Sphere

In summary: So sorry for any confusion.In summary, the problem involves calculating the steady-state heat transfer rate for a 0.0985 m radius hollow sphere containing a cavity with a 0.0785 m radius, made of a material with a k-value of 0.003 W/m.K. The ambient temperature is 25 C and the initial temperature within the cavity is 5.5 C. The convection heat transfer coefficient of the air is 10.45 W/m2.K for both the internal and external air. Through calculations and integration, a final answer of -0.276 W is determined.
Zulumike
Hello everyone.
I've been doing a bit of independent study for this topic without much background and so my thermodynamic knowledge is fairly limited. I came across this problem and I'd like some assistance with it! If anyone can help out, I would be very grateful. A lot of the equations came from my own research, so I'm not sure if my starting point is altogether correct.

Homework Statement

A 0.0985 m radius hollow sphere contains a spherical cavity with 0.0785 m radius. The sphere is made out of a material with a k-value of 0.003 W/m.K. Ambient temperature around the sphere is 25 C, and the initial temperature within the cavity is 5.5 C. Convection heat transfer coefficient of the air is 10.45 W/m2.K for both the internal and external air. Calculate the steady-state heat transfer rate at this given temperature.

Homework Equations

Conductive heat transfer through spherical wall.
$$Q_{sphere} = -kA \frac{dT} {dr}$$

Convective heat transfer on a wall
$$q_{wall} = hA (T_{ambient} - T_{wall})$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at a few calculations online, I determined that the ##Q_{sphere}## can be estimated as
$$Q_{sphere} = 4 \pi k r_1 r_2 \frac {(T_{intwall} - T_{exwall})} {r_2-r_1}$$

Where ##r_1## is the interior radius and ##T_1## is the internal temperature.

Using this http://www.learnthermo.com/examples/ch04/p-4b-2.php link, I think I found a way to connect steady state calculations to combine convective and conductive heat transfer. Using a similar method to the one in the link, I assume that the internal convection heat transfer rate is equal to the heat conduction rate which is also equal to the external convection heat transfer rate.

Internal convection equations:
$$q_{internal} = 4 \pi h r_1^2 (T_1 - T_{intwall})$$
$$q_{external} = 4 \pi h r_2^2 (T_{exwall} - T_2)$$
Where ##T_2## is the external ambient air and ##T_1## is the internal ambient air.
Isolating these for the ##T_{intwall}## and ##T_{exwall}##:
$$T_{intwall} = T_1 - \frac {q} {4 \pi h r_1^2}$$
$$T_{exwall} = T_2 + \frac {q} {4 \pi h r_2^2}$$

Plugging these into the ##Q_{sphere}## equation:
$$q = 4 \pi k r_1 r_2 \frac {(T_1 - \frac {q} {4 \pi h r_1^2} - (T_2 + \frac {q} {4 \pi h r_2^2}))} {r_2-r_1}$$

Plug this into wolframalpha to isolate ##q##:
$$q = -\frac {(4 \pi h k r_1^2 r_2^2 (T_2 - T_1))} {(r_1^2 (k - h r_2) + h r_2^2 r_1 + k r_2^2)}$$

Plugging in values:
h=10.45
r1 = 0.0785
r2 = 0.0985
k = 0.003
T1 = 25
T2 = 5.5
Gives a final answer of
$$q = -0.276 W$$

Is this correct? Is my method at all correct? I'm really not entirely sure on the equations I used or whether I connected them correctly. Any help or pointing in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It all looks good to me. I noted that you used k = .003 in the calculation whereas it stated k = .002 in the problem.

Likes Zulumike
Thanks for looking it over. That was just a typo on my part, my bad. It's fixed now.

Zulumike said:
Thanks for looking it over. That was just a typo on my part, my bad. It's fixed now.
This was not done quite correctly. For heat conduction through the shell, $$-k\frac{dT}{dr}=\frac{Q}{4\pi r^2}$$where r is the local radius within the shell. You need to integrate this between the inner and out radii of the shell.

TSny said:
It all looks good to me. I noted that you used k = .003 in the calculation whereas it stated k = .002 in the problem.
Chestermiller said:
This was not done quite correctly. For heat conduction through the shell, $$-k\frac{dT}{dr}=\frac{Q}{4\pi r^2}$$where r is the local radius within the shell. You need to integrate this between the inner and out radii of the shell.

I just integrated it again according to your parameters, but I'm getting the same equation. Could you let me know what I'm doing wrong? Below is my calculation.
tc9TyLG.jpg

Zulumike said:
I just integrated it again according to your parameters, but I'm getting the same equation. Could you let me know what I'm doing wrong? Below is my calculation.
tc9TyLG.jpg
Oops. Sorry for my confusion. You, of course, did it corretly.

1. How does heat transfer occur through a sphere?

Heat transfer through a sphere occurs through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between molecules, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

2. What factors affect heat transfer through a sphere?

The rate of heat transfer through a sphere is influenced by several factors, including the material of the sphere, its size, the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the sphere, and the surrounding environment. The thermal conductivity, density, and specific heat of the material also play a role in heat transfer.

3. How do you calculate the rate of heat transfer through a sphere?

The rate of heat transfer through a sphere can be calculated using the equation Q = kAΔT/L, where Q is the rate of heat transfer, k is the thermal conductivity of the material, A is the surface area of the sphere, ΔT is the temperature difference, and L is the thickness of the sphere.

4. Does the shape of the sphere affect heat transfer?

Yes, the shape of a sphere can affect heat transfer. A larger surface area of the sphere allows for more heat to be transferred, while a smaller surface area will result in less heat transfer. Additionally, a spherical shape allows for more efficient convection compared to other shapes, as it minimizes heat loss through conduction.

5. Can heat transfer through a sphere be controlled?

Yes, heat transfer through a sphere can be controlled by adjusting the temperature difference, changing the material of the sphere, or altering the surrounding environment. Insulation can also be added to the sphere to reduce heat transfer. Additionally, the rate of heat transfer can be optimized by selecting the right material and shape for the sphere.