Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat transfer through ceiling

1. May 23, 2015 #1
    Hello guys,

I have a problem and I don't know how to solve it properly ...

So I have this situation:
    armstrongplosca.png
    And I must calculate the heat transfer (Q) through it ...

I know that the Indoor Temperature is 21C and the outdoor Temperature is 0C, I also know the following data for all layers:
    Concrete: d (thickes) = 0.4m, k (Thermal conductivity) = 1.10 W/mK
    Air: d = 2.25m, k = 0.0244 W/mK
    Armstrong plate: d = 0.015m, k = 0.06 W/mK

And the surface is S = 731.9 m^2

I know I should calculate through this expression: Q = U S (T1-T2) and 1/U = SUM(d/k) = SUM(1/alpha)

the sum of d/k is no problem but for sum of 1/alpha, I do not know hot to calculate the alphas (Convection coefficient), because there is one alpha from air to Armstrong and one alpha from concrete to air (Or are there 2 alphas for each because the temperature under Armstrong plate is higher that the temperature above the Armstrong plate ...?)

So here is the problem, because there is a natural motion of air and a big horizontal plate I do not know hot to calculate the alphas... Can somebody please help me?

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need to concentrate on what the variables represent - and think: resistors in series.

4. May 24, 2015 #3
    I do not exactly understand what you mean. Can you explain it a little bit better?

5. May 25, 2015 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How would you find the current through resistors in series?
    Now: heat flow = current, temperature difference voltage.

6. May 25, 2015 #5
  7. May 30, 2015 #6
    I completely understand the resistance circuits. But when I calculate the heat flux through the concrete only I get 42 253W, but when I calculate the heat flux through concrete, air and plate I get 165.5W. But this is only conduction, in real there is there also convection, and for convection I need alphas ... or is it not important to consider convection by calculating the heat flow?

I mean the heat flux difference is huge. I can not imagine that if you lower a ceiling with this plates you safe so much of energy? Air is a good isolator, but so good?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook