Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Heat transfer through windows

1. Oct 27, 2018 #1
    I am doing an assignment about heat energy transfer and passive cooling.
    I understand that heat energy is transferred into rooms through windows by conduction, but I'm confused about if heat energy is also transferred through windows by solar radiation and where infrared radiation comes into play.
    So is heat energy transferred through a window as solar radiation? and is infrared radiation created by the window that is heated through conduction, which causes the rest of the room to heat up?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2018 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi yohanblake. Welcome to PF!

Since there is empty space between the sun and the earth all the energy from the sun comes to us as radiation. If there are no clouds to reflect that radiation back into space, a small amount of that radiation may be absorbed by the air but most reaches down to the earth surface. Some of the radiation is absorbed by the window itself and some may be reflected, but most of the solar radiation energy that is incident upon a window on a sunny day will be transferred through the window as radiation into the room.

AM

4. Oct 27, 2018 #3
    Long story short : sunlight comes in the window and that energy is absorbed by stuff in the room. The stuff gets a bit warmer and emits more infrared radiation (heat). Glass reflects infrared, so it doesn't escape, but gets bounced back into the room where the stuff reabsorbs it. Also known as the "greenhouse effect".

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted