Heat transfer using heat sinks

In summary, the person needs help with a project involving a thermoelectric refrigerator to cool a 5.4 ltr capacity refrigerating space to 10-12 degrees. They have a cooling module in place and need to dissipate 98 W of power. They also have a heat sink measuring 96*96 mm with 98 pins and need to find the thermal resistance when coupled with a 12.5W cooling fan. Additionally, they need to know how to choose a heat sink to restrict the temperature rise to 20 degrees from the ambient temperature. To find these answers, they would need to use a thermal analysis tool and consider parameters such as fan size, heat sink material properties, air flow rate, and ambient temperature.
george varkey
I need help regarding a small project on thermoelectric refrigerator. I need to cool a 5.4 ltr capacity refrigerating space to maintain it at 10-12 degrees. I have the cooling module in place.I needed to dissipate 98 W of power from one module via a heat sink.

I have a heat sink that is of pin type measuring 96*96 mm with 98 pins of rectangular cross section.I need to find:

a) The thermal resistance of this heat sink when coupled with a cooling fan of 12.5W

b)how to choose a heat sink so that the temperature rise can be restricted to 20 degrees from the ambient temperature.

anyone having any idea in this topic please reply!

Engineering news on Phys.org
For question a), the thermal resistance of this heat sink when coupled with a cooling fan of 12.5W depends on several factors such as the size and type of fan, the material properties of the heat sink, the air flow rate, and the ambient temperature. To calculate the thermal resistance, you would need to use a thermal analysis tool such as COMSOL or ANSYS to simulate the system. For question b), you would need to use a thermal analysis tool to determine the required size and type of heat sink to restrict the temperature rise to 20 degrees from the ambient temperature. You would need to define the geometry of the heat sink, the material properties of the heat sink, the air flow rate, and the ambient temperature. You can then vary the parameters such as the size of the heat sink and the type of fan to find the optimal combination that meets your requirements.

1. What is a heat sink?

A heat sink is a device used to transfer heat from a hot object to a cooler environment. It typically consists of a metal material with fins or other structures that increase the surface area for heat dissipation.

2. How does a heat sink work?

A heat sink works by using its large surface area and high thermal conductivity to absorb heat from a hot object through conduction. The fins on the heat sink then increase the surface area even further, allowing for efficient transfer of heat to the surrounding air through convection.

3. What materials are used to make heat sinks?

The most common material used to make heat sinks is aluminum, due to its high thermal conductivity and relatively low cost. Other materials such as copper, brass, and various alloys can also be used.

4. How do I choose the right heat sink for my application?

The choice of a heat sink depends on factors such as the heat dissipation requirements, available space, and budget. It is important to consider the material, size, and design of the heat sink to ensure it is compatible with the heat source and the surrounding environment.

5. Can heat sinks be used for both cooling and heating?

Yes, heat sinks can be used for both cooling and heating purposes. They can be designed to either dissipate heat from a hot object or absorb heat to warm up a cooler object. This makes them versatile and commonly used in various industries such as electronics, automotive, and aerospace.