1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Transfer

1. May 29, 2006 #1

danago

Gold Member

Hey. Here is the question i was given:

"When you hold your hand in the air in a hot oven, it takes a while before it starts to burn, but if you touch a cake tin in the oven, it burns almost instantly. Why?"

It has to do with the lower specific heat capacity of the tin, which apparently results in the cake tin transferring heat at a much faster rate. My question is...why does a substance with a lower specific heat capacity transfer heat faster?

Thanks.
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you say the greater heat transfer has to do with the lower heat capacity of tin?

AM

4. May 30, 2006 #3

danago

Gold Member

Its what i was told.

5. May 30, 2006 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would think that a high heat capacity and a high heat conductivity would put more heat on the hand. The main factor, though, is high heat conductivity, which is what tin has.

AM

6. May 30, 2006 #5

danago

Gold Member

Yes, thats exacly what i thought, since a higher heat capacity substance has more energy to transfer.

Thanks very much for the reply.
    Dan.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?