Heat Transfer

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
danago
Gold Member
Hey. Here is the question i was given:

"When you hold your hand in the air in a hot oven, it takes a while before it starts to burn, but if you touch a cake tin in the oven, it burns almost instantly. Why?"

It has to do with the lower specific heat capacity of the tin, which apparently results in the cake tin transferring heat at a much faster rate. My question is...why does a substance with a lower specific heat capacity transfer heat faster?

Thanks.
Dan.

Answers and Replies

Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
danago said:
Hey. Here is the question i was given:

"When you hold your hand in the air in a hot oven, it takes a while before it starts to burn, but if you touch a cake tin in the oven, it burns almost instantly. Why?"

It has to do with the lower specific heat capacity of the tin, which apparently results in the cake tin transferring heat at a much faster rate. My question is...why does a substance with a lower specific heat capacity transfer heat faster?
Why do you say the greater heat transfer has to do with the lower heat capacity of tin?

AM

danago
Gold Member
Its what i was told.

Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
danago said:
Its what i was told.
I would think that a high heat capacity and a high heat conductivity would put more heat on the hand. The main factor, though, is high heat conductivity, which is what tin has.

AM

danago
Gold Member
Yes, thats exacly what i thought, since a higher heat capacity substance has more energy to transfer.

Thanks very much for the reply.
Dan.