1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Transfer

1. Jan 8, 2007 #1
    Does warm water rise or fall in cold weather?

I think it falls

Does it have to do with convection???????

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The question makes no sense. "Weather" implies the atmosphere and water is a liquid, so water falls in the atmosphere regardless of if it is warm or cold. Can you provide some context to the question?

4. Jan 8, 2007 #3

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Above 4°C, water gets denser as it cools. This means that warmer water rises under these conditions. Below 4°C, water becomes actually becomes less dense as it cools. Under those conditions warm water will fall as you guessed.

5. Jan 8, 2007 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you reading "weather" as 'water'?

6. Jan 8, 2007 #5

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

The situation I assumed he was talking about was you have some water outdoors like a lake or something, and the water is at a temperature close to the air, but it isn't completely uniform. It's the only way it makes sense. I know they sometimes give ocean temperatures in weather reports, so maybe the question is actually legitimate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?