Rate of Butter Reaching Room Temp: Need Help!

• Thread starter sphynx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, the rate at which butter reaches ambient room temperature from being chilled at various temperatures is dependent on the k coefficient of butter, the convection coefficient of the system of the surface of the butter and the sides of the butter, and the resistance of conduction and convection.
sphynx
Not sure whether anyone can help, I need to work out the rate at which butter reaches ambient room temperature from being chilled at various temperatures.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Science news on Phys.org
Thanks

You'll need the k coefficient of butter and the convection coefficient of the system of the surface of the butter and the sides of the butter.

Try making a series of resistances of: butter conduction + parallel sides of convection of the butter + upper surface convection. For butter conduction I would suggest using a spherical equation. Your Rconduction will be function of the diameter of the butter and the k coefficient. For the others you use convection over a vertical wall and convection over a horizontal plate.

If you have the series of resistances R you can then say that Q is the flow of warmth, which is the same for every part of the butter (conduction and convection).

In this case you can say that there is a constant room temperature and you have an initial temperature of the upper surface of the butter. Q = h (Tr-Ts) and h depends on what kind of surface you have, you'll have to use correlations to find this one. Tr is constant.

When you have the Q, you can make little time intervals, use a numerical program, or you can make yourself (in Matlab) a loop with a certain time interval deltat. Q will constantly change and Ts will change too.

Now why did we need this R then? It's just: when you know Q and you know R, you will know delta Temperature between inside the butter and the outside ambient temperature.

So you will have Tbutter in function of temperature because: R = deltaT/Q

I'm afraid you can't solve this one in an easier way, even when you only want the surface temperature of the butter, you'll still need to take in account the conduction between surface and inner butter. I'm also afraid you'll need to consider convection because it's this 'natural' convection that will melt the butter.

The Newton thing is a bit simplistic, because you don't take in account that the butter has a gradient and convection has not been taken account of. But it will do...

Last edited:

1. How long does it take for butter to reach room temperature?

The time it takes for butter to reach room temperature can vary depending on factors such as the ambient temperature and the type of butter. Generally, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour for butter to reach room temperature.

2. Can I speed up the process of butter reaching room temperature?

Yes, there are a few methods you can use to speed up the process of butter reaching room temperature. You can cut the butter into smaller pieces or grate it, which will increase the surface area and allow it to warm up faster. You can also place the butter in a warm (not hot) oven for a few minutes or use a microwave on a low setting for short intervals.

3. Is it safe to leave butter at room temperature?

Yes, it is generally safe to leave butter at room temperature for a short period of time. However, it is important to use clean utensils and store the butter in an airtight container to prevent contamination. It is recommended to only leave butter at room temperature for a maximum of 2 hours.

4. Can I use melted butter instead of room temperature butter in a recipe?

It is not recommended to use melted butter instead of room temperature butter in a recipe as it can alter the texture and consistency of the final product. Melted butter has a higher water content and may not incorporate as well into the batter or dough.

5. How can I tell if butter has reached room temperature?

You can tell if butter has reached room temperature by pressing a finger into the butter. If your finger leaves an indent without the butter feeling too soft or melting, then it has reached room temperature. Additionally, you can also use a thermometer to check if the butter has reached around 65-68°F (18-20°C), which is the ideal room temperature for butter.