Lowest Final Temp: Which Substance to Add?

• Thread starter chiurox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Final
In summary, the question is asking which of the given options will result in the lowest final temperature when added to 250g of water at 90 degrees Celsius in an insulated container. The given equation used to solve the problem is (CM[dT]) + (CM[dT]) = 0, where the first part is the container's heat and the second is the supposed amount of added substance at a certain temperature. After plugging in numbers, it is determined that option C (15g of water at 0 degrees C) would result in the lowest final temperature of 84.9 degrees Celsius. However, considering the latent heat of ice, option D (5g of ice at 0 degrees C) would actually result in
chiurox

Homework Statement

An insulated container is filled with 250g of water at 90degrees Celsius. Which of the following, when added to the hot water, will result in the lowest final temperature of the mixture?
A. 10g of water at 0 degrees C
B. 125g of water at 75 degrees C
C. 15g of water at 0 degrees C
D. 5g of ice at 0 degrees C
E. 250g of water at 80 degrees C

Homework Equations

I used (CM[dT]) + (CM[dT]) = 0
where the first part is the container's heat and the second is the supposed amount of added substance at a certain temperature.

The Attempt at a Solution

I began plugging in numbers, starting from
A: the final temperature was 86.5
B. the final temperature was 85
C. The final temperature was 84.9
D. The final temperature was 88.23
E. The final temperature was 85.

It seems that C would be the answers, but it's just too close to B and E. Also, I think that my equation is wrong because ice has latent heat... so logically, I think that D would be the right one, because it takes heat to first melt the 5g of ice. But could anyone help me with how I should set up the equation due to the latent heat of ice?

Physics news on Phys.org
chiurox said:
It seems that C would be the answers, but it's just too close to B and E. Also, I think that my equation is wrong because ice has latent heat... so logically, I think that D would be the right one, because it takes heat to first melt the 5g of ice. But could anyone help me with how I should set up the equation due to the latent heat of ice?

If the final temp is t° C, then,

heat required to melt ice + heat required raise the temp of melted ice to t = heat given out by the water at 90° C to cool down to t.

You will have to consider latent heat for the part with ice.

For choice D, this is what I did:
mL + (ice's)cmdT = (water's)cmdT
(0.005*3.35*10^5) + (2000*0.005*(T-0)) = 4186*0.250*(90-T)
and I got T = 87.5 is that right?

What is the 2000 in that calculation?

I think it's the specific heat of ice.

chiurox said:
I think it's the specific heat of ice.

The ice has turned to water by then though.

oh heh...
so then the final T would be 86.6 which is still not the lowest. So the answer would be C then?

That should be correct.

chiurox said:
oh heh...
so then the final T would be 86.6 which is still not the lowest. So the answer would be C then?

I am getting 80.38 °C for D. Recheck your calculation.

I'm still getting 86.6
I did what I posted:
"(0.005*3.35*10^5) + (4186*0.005*(T-0)) = 4186*0.250*(90-T)"
I believe 80.38 is correct though. But what are you doing exactly then?

Sorry...

chiurox said:
I'm still getting 86.6

You got it right. I'm sorry for my wrong calculations. The ans is 86.67 °C.

[Just one point though: use CGS for this type of problems. The numbers are so much easier to deal with, provided you don't make careless mistakes like me. E.g., the equation for (D) is:

5*80 + 5(t-0) = 250(90-t).]

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of finding the lowest final temperature?

The purpose of finding the lowest final temperature is to determine which substance, when added to a mixture, will result in the lowest overall temperature. This can be useful in various scientific experiments and processes.

2. How is the lowest final temperature calculated?

The lowest final temperature is calculated by measuring the initial temperatures of the substances being mixed, and then using a formula to determine the final temperature. This formula takes into account the specific heat capacities and masses of the substances.

3. What factors can affect the lowest final temperature?

The lowest final temperature can be affected by factors such as the specific heat capacity of the substances, the masses of the substances, and the initial temperatures of the substances. External factors such as ambient temperature can also play a role.

4. Why is it important to consider the lowest final temperature when adding substances?

Considering the lowest final temperature when adding substances is important because it can impact the outcome of an experiment or process. It can also help determine which substance is the most effective in achieving a desired result.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when determining the lowest final temperature?

Yes, there are safety precautions to take when determining the lowest final temperature. It is important to handle substances carefully and follow proper safety protocols, such as wearing protective gear, to avoid any potential hazards. Additionally, it is important to properly dispose of substances after the experiment is complete.