1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Transfer

1. Feb 14, 2010 #1
    I have a bit of a project to work on and wanted to find out if I am doing things correctly. A diesel engine is housed in a plant house and produces ~240kW of heat. Now I need to place a fan in here such that the temperature difference between the room and the outside is less than 5°C.

Firstly, is this possible without using some sort of vapour compression cycles.

This is what I did calculation wise.

Q= m*Cp*(T2-T1)

Cp= specific heat of the moist air (calculated using psychometric chart)
    T2-T1 = 5°C (difference between outside and inside temp)

From this I calculated “m”, which is what I believe the flow rate of the fan should be. Would this be reasonable?

I was speaking to someone and they told me install a fan that moves the volume of the room per second…eg. If room was 30m^3 volume fan capacity would be 30m^3/s. However, I think this is overkill.

Am I on the right track with my calculations? I know that the value of ‘m’ I calculate wont give me exactly a 5°C increase, but would it be a decent rough estimate?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted