What is the Temperature Difference Between Two Bodies Connected by a Rod?

In summary, the problem involves two bodies of masses m1 and m2, connected by a rod of length L, cross-sectional area A, and thermal conductivity K. The system is thermally insulated, and at time t=0, the first body has temperature T1 and the second body has temperature T2 (T2>T1). The goal is to find the temperature difference between the two bodies at time t and relevant equations to use for solving the problem.The relevant equations include the rate of heat transfer, given by H=kA*delta-T/delta-x, which is equal to mc*dT/dt for both objects connected by the rod. Depending on whether the class is calculus-based, the power transferred in time t can
aviravir1
Two bodies of masses m1 and m2 and specific heat capacities s1and s2 are connected by a rod of length L crossectional area A,thermal conductivty K and negligible heat capacity.The whole system is thermally insulated.At time t=0 the temperature of the first body is T1and the temperature of second body is T2(T2>T1).Find the temp. difference betw. 2 bodies at time t.

Physics news on Phys.org
What relevant equations did you learn? What attempt did you make at solving this question?

well actually i m not able to move an inch in it...

can u please give me some solid hint so that i can proceed..

please help...giv some hint ...how shud i proceed

why no one is replying...atleast give some hint how to do it..so that i may proceed...

The rate of heat transfer, given by H=kA*delta-T/delta-x, is equal to mc*dT/dt for both objects connected by the rod, only one rod's temperature goes down while the other's goes up. Depending on whether your class is calculus-based, you can either calculate the power transferred in time t and set it equal to mc*delta-T for both objects, or you can use calculus to get a more accurate solution.

actually i did lik this(see the attachment)

firstly is it correct

secondly wen i tried integrating it its not giving the ans.

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 391
please help

please help...i m in dire need

im getting ans as (T2-T1)e(1-f)t

wer f=KA(m1s1+m2s2)/(L(m1s1m2s2))

wer as ans is (T2-T1)e-ft

wer f=KA(m1s1+m2s2)/(L(m1s1m2s2))

1. What is the difference between heat transfer and temperature?

Heat transfer refers to the movement of thermal energy from one object or substance to another. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In simpler terms, heat transfer is the process of energy transfer, while temperature is a measurement of the amount of energy present.

2. How does heat transfer occur?

Heat transfer can occur through three main methods: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of a fluid, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. What factors affect the rate of heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer is influenced by several factors, including the temperature difference between two objects, the surface area of the objects, the type of material the objects are made of, and the medium through which heat is transferred. For example, heat will transfer more quickly between two objects with a larger temperature difference than between two objects with a smaller difference.

4. What is thermal equilibrium?

Thermal equilibrium occurs when two objects that are in contact with each other reach the same temperature. This means that there is no longer a net transfer of heat between the objects, as they are both at the same temperature. This principle is important in understanding how heat transfer and temperature changes occur in a system.

5. How is heat transfer related to energy efficiency?

Heat transfer plays a crucial role in energy efficiency. In order to increase energy efficiency, it is important to minimize heat transfer, as this can result in energy loss. This is why insulation is used in buildings to reduce the transfer of heat between the inside and outside environments. Similarly, in machines and engines, heat transfer is controlled to increase efficiency and reduce energy waste.