Homework: Solving for Energy Conducted dQ/dt

In summary: What do I do?In summary, the student is trying to calculate the rate of heat flow through a cylindrical surface. They are using formulas from class, but they may not be clear enough for helpers to understand. If the images are not clear, the student should type in their attempt.
encorelui2

Homework Statement

See attached figure. Ta>Tb. Show that the rate of energy conducted dQ/dt is 2*pi*L*k((Ta-Tb)/Ln(b/a))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I seem to be lost at deriving an equation for the medium area, A.
I understand the tansfer from low temp area to high. Pcond. is proportional to change in temp from H to L temp areas. I have attached my attempt at a soln.

Attachments

• 20170212_182525-1.jpg
    20170212_182525-1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 383
  • 20170212_190904.jpg
    20170212_190904.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This forum requires you to show some work towards a solution before we can help you.

What have you learned about heat conduction that you think might be relevant? Do you know how to calculate the rate of heat flow through a thin slab of material? Do you know any formulas that might be helpful?

Which parts of your notes shown below apply specifically to this problem?
upload_2017-2-12_21-32-35.png

If the radial temperature gradient is dT/dr, what is the rate of heat flow through the cylindrical surface at radius r (inside the conductor)?

@encorelui2 : An image of class notes does not comprise a solution attempt, particularly an image that is essentially illegible due to poor image quality and small handwriting (your personal handwriting may be clear as day to you, but it's close to a secret code to others when it's tiny and fuzzy and low contrast). Please provide an acceptable solution attempt or at least describe what approaches you've tried. If you use an image, be sure number every equation on the page so that helpers can refer to them in their responses.

If your images are not clear enough to read then you need to type in your attempt. Text-formatted math can be rendered using the icon tools in the edit panel header or using LaTeX syntax. It's much easier for helpers to read, quote, and comment on typed-in content and experience shows that you'll more, and more timely help responses that way.

Note that without a valid solution attempt your thread is in danger of being removed. See:
Hey! I posted here but now it's gone!

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is "dQ/dt" in the context of energy?

In the context of energy, "dQ/dt" refers to the rate of change of heat or thermal energy over time. It is often used in equations to calculate the flow of heat in a system.

2. How is "dQ/dt" calculated?

"dQ/dt" is calculated by taking the change in heat (dQ) and dividing it by the change in time (dt). This gives the rate at which heat is flowing in or out of a system.

3. What units are used to measure "dQ/dt"?

The units of "dQ/dt" are typically joules per second (J/s) or watts (W). This represents the amount of heat transferred per unit of time.

4. How is "dQ/dt" used in solving for energy?

"dQ/dt" is often used in equations to calculate the flow of heat in a system. By knowing the rate at which heat is flowing, we can determine the amount of energy transferred over a specific period of time.

5. Can "dQ/dt" be negative?

Yes, "dQ/dt" can be negative. This indicates that heat is leaving the system, resulting in a decrease in thermal energy. Conversely, a positive "dQ/dt" indicates that heat is entering the system, resulting in an increase in thermal energy.