Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Heat Transfer

1. Mar 31, 2017 #1
    Hi there,

I have a problem that I cannot find a solution too. In this problem I have a fuel (approximately natural gas) supply which is combusted when mixed with air inside a burner. The flame that is then generated is used to heat up a sealed cylindrical vessel (the flame is on the outside of the vessel, but the combustion heat is used to heat up the inside of the vessel).

Now, I know the energy content of the fuel (MJ/kg) and the flowrate (kg/s). However, I am required to estimate the temperature inside the vessel during heating by the flame. The other information I know are the vessel wall thickness, wall material, and vessel volume.

How would I go about calculating the temperature inside the vessel? Do I need to calculate the flame temperature and then treat it as a simple heat transfer problem? Or can I simply use the energy content of the fuel and mass flowrate to calculate the energy on one side of the wall?

Cheers,
    Dave

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2017 #2
    The gas in the container doesn't know that it is being heated by a flame on the outside of the container, right? So, you need to know the flame temperature. This is just the starting point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted